72 Buick GTX Skylark

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I didn't buy it. Very clean, nice paint job, very minor rust repairs with new sheet metal. But the engine has atleast two bad rods that I could tell by listening to it run with a long handled screwdriver up to my ear. It knocked something awful. Plus the oil smelt of gasoline so there is blow by somewhere most likely prison rings or maybe the valves or both... Basically, the engine needs a rebuild.

I didn't even take it for a test drive to check out anything else, because the owner was firm on $7,500. I don't have time to put a rebuilt engine in it nor do I want to drop two big piles of cash on it to make it right.

Oh well - keep looking I guess...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a pity! Hopefully something else will come up for you that is in better nick.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very nice looking car but yea you were right on the price sounding way too low. My husband had a 1969 Chevelle SS at one point and I'd love to one day to either find it and buy it back, or get him another one in good running shape. It's hard to find a car late 60s early 70s that clean and running well for under $10,000

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a pity! Hopefully something else will come up for you that is in better nick.

Yeah I talked to my mom about it all and surprising my dad. I would buy it, sell it to my dad for a dollar. They would insure it and then put it into their will, that I get it back upon my fathers passing. That way he could enjoy it for a dollar, plus tags, insurance & gas. I thought it might be a good (long term) investment and something for my dad to have fun with. Classics keep going up in price.

I just got off the phone with my mom and had break the news - no go :( but then again... Momma didn't braise no fool either.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:hugs It's a really wonderful gesture and I hope the right car will come along for you guys. Your dad will enjoy that so much! Fingers crossed.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hugs It's a really wonderful gesture and I hope the right car will come along for you guys. Your dad will enjoy that so much! Fingers crossed.

Out of all the cars my mom and dad owned the 72 Buick GTX Skylark was both of their favorite. I remember going to the dealership and sitting there with my mom and dad while my dad negotiated price and options (radio, paint, rally wheels, spoiler, etc...) then I also remember going with my dad the day my dad picked it up from the dealer. He was smiling ear to ear...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a little bit different taste in old vehicles (think K5 Blazer, Scout), but the ones we want are starting to get pricey too... Especially here, finding one that isn't rusted out is an issue...

Bummer but good call on not biting, hard to walk away when you've got an emotional investment in it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love a lot of the older cars, some of the 1970's cars are amazing. I'd love to buy an old Maserati one day, the new ones don't do it for me, but that is a maybe, some day fantasy :)

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well I didn't buy it. Very clean, nice paint job, very minor rust repairs with new sheet metal. But the engine has atleast two bad rods that I could tell by listening to it run with a long handled screwdriver up to my ear. It knocked something awful. Plus the oil smelt of gasoline so there is blow by somewhere most likely prison rings or maybe the valves or both... Basically, the engine needs a rebuild.

I didn't even take it for a test drive to check out anything else, because the owner was firm on $7,500. I don't have time to put a rebuilt engine in it nor do I want to drop two big piles of cash on it to make it right.

Oh well - keep looking I guess...
Maybe thats why the price was low like you said. He knew the engine isnt good and wants to get rid of it before it blows. Like they say, if its too good to be true.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe thats why the price was low like you said. He knew the engine isnt good and wants to get rid of it before it blows. Like they say, if its too good to be true.....

I might have bit if he would have came down to $5,000 ~ $5,500 because the body and interior was complete. But he said he had to have $7,500. He has my number, I told him to call me if he would come down on his price. Still quite a bit of time & money to rebuild the engine though.