savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have not done any crochet in years, but do know how. I do know that the tension being the same takes time and practice. I'd just try making something simple like a winter scarf as a first project. If it gets out of whack, just pull it out and try again. Use a simple stitch and complete something easy. Then try something harder next time. But a scarf is a good first project. Making something like a baby blanket or afhgan is a good project too but you have to have your tension pretty consistent for it to come out right.

I also made rag rugs from scraps using those giant crochet hooks, that was a fun project and a way to use old fabric you might have or acquire cheap.

Hopefully some expert crochet folks will chime in here and help you a bit more.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I suck at knitting and crochet so I just use knitting looms :D

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I love and am quite good at crochet, can't knit to save my life. :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Here is a link to what I used to make.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4856873_crochet-rag-rug.html

I would call them "homey" and "useful" as opposed to "elegant". I used them as bath mats and in front of the kitchen sink, that kind of thing, because they are nice and absorbent and washable.

This is a very easy beginner crochet project.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do a lot of crocheting and knitting. Keep in mind that some yarns are easier than others to work with. I don't know what brand you have, but not all yarns are created equal. For example, I love the glossy, soft feel of Caron Simply Soft...but when you crochet with it, the crochet hook tends to split through the yarn, which can be annoying.

One thing you might try is a cotton dishcloth. A bit bigger than a potholder, and you can use it to wash dishes (or yourself!) whether it has a few mistakes in it or not.

http://fiber-mama.blogspot.com/2008/01/basic-crochet-dishclothwashcloth.html has a good example.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a hemp wash cloth someone made for me about 4 YEARS ago and that thing is still in great shape.