abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
If i knit a row, purl a row, back and forth does it make it flatter or more rippled? I know knit purl back and forth on the same row is how to rib.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
If i knit a row, purl a row, back and forth does it make it flatter or more rippled? I know knit purl back and forth on the same row is how to rib.
That is called a Stockinette Stitch . It will give you a flat fabric. It is used for all most everything in knitting. It gives you the right side all knit stitches and the wrong side all purls. If you want to rib you need to have it like this KKKK PPPP KKKK PPPP. If you do KPKPKP
you get a seed or moss stitch.

NEKO-CHAN
I buy her patterns because i can't stand cutey looking things. I want my animals to look as real as possible. The quality of her designs is much higher then most of the stuff you can get for free.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Abi, knit one row, and the purl on the next row will give you the flat look that many "just plain" sweaters have, or plain socks; what most people (non-knitters) think of when they think "knit".

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Great! That's what I want :D

I'm going to practice knits and purls and whatever-the-term adding and removing stitches.... So I am going to make a scarf that increases and decreases into a wavy look and use the knits/purls to add streamy water bits through the otherwise flat look.

It'll either be spiffy or really suck :D I can't wait to find out which!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Great! That's what I want :D

I'm going to practice knits and purls and whatever-the-term adding and removing stitches.... So I am going to make a scarf that increases and decreases into a wavy look and use the knits/purls to add streamy water bits through the otherwise flat look.

It'll either be spiffy or really suck :D I can't wait to find out which!!!
Sounds very interesting. Don't forget the photos when you are finished :D

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan- They look okay to me. I would make sure you are using stitch markers for each round. They really help. Also if there are reviews I would read them. If people are having problems they help each other. I was really bad at making the the first couple. Its takes a bit to get it right. I suggest checking out planetjunes special eyes. For a baby I would glue felt eyes or sew eyes.