ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I crochet like crazy. I can kinda sew and am learning to use a drop spindle. I hate knitting but im going force myself to do it. Crochet socks are not near as nice as knit ones.

Ceilismom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same. The crochet socks look a little weird in shape. Guess I'm going to have to concentrate on learning how to knit socks.

Edited to Add:

Wow, sock knitting does NOT look like fun!

There's five needles being used there. I'm confused already and I've only read the first part of the instructions.
I have found that if one wants to have knit socks, one should cultivate, encourage and enable a fondness for knitting in a family member. By this method, I have acquired three lovely pairs of hand-knit socks, and also a gorgeous cabled cardigan, without driving myself batty. I am happy to gift nice yarns or crocheted items to said family member, and she is happy to send a few of her knitted items to live with someone who will appreciate every single stitch. Win-win. ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I started knitting socks a few years ago; they are a nice little *take along* project. I was a little scared of them at first because my mother had always said how difficult they were ... but they are not, really. She wasn't a good knitter, so they probably were, for her. Europeans, and maybe Aussies, knit on 5 needles; Americans usually use only 4. I find that a bit easier because you can knit a bit more (like 4 or 5 stitches :lol:) before having to change needles. If the heel is intimidating try to find instructions for a *German heel*; they are somewhat easier. (I tried googling it, and got several sites, but no instructions; sorry)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I started knitting socks a few years ago; they are a nice little *take along* project. I was a little scared of them at first because my mother had always said how difficult they were ... but they are not, really. She wasn't a good knitter, so they probably were, for her. Europeans, and maybe Aussies, knit on 5 needles; Americans usually use only 4. I find that a bit easier because you can knit a bit more (like 4 or 5 stitches :lol:) before having to change needles. If the heel is intimidating try to find instructions for a *German heel*; they are somewhat easier. (I tried googling it, and got several sites, but no instructions; sorry)
Ill have to look them up. I would like to do color work with knitting as well. The yarn shop i hang out at does classes but they are pricy. Im crocheting amis right now. Way to much fun.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can't remember if I've posted this or not, but if your library has this book, it is very much worth it to look up: Getting Started with Socks. Can't remember the author, but if you want to knit socks in anything from fingering to bulky yarn, there are clear pictures and great instructions. I've tried crochet socks, and frankly, you just can't get the ribbing to look or feel as nice. Bummer, because I much prefer crocheting. But with the bulky yarn, last year I knitted socks for all 23 of my nieces and nephews! I could do about one sock per day. I kind of cheated by doing the cuff on regular needles and then switched to the double pointed ones after. But you can certainly see what you're doing better with bigger yarn!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are small knitted or crochet stuffed toys. Ami is short for amigurumi.