A female issue - advice? (update)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I imploringly suggest the Dr in this case. An Aunt had a similar thing, turned out it was related to breast cancer. Don't want to scare at all, it is in all likelyhood fine, I just want to make sure you don't cancel that appt!

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you quit nursing last july, and your breast is painful today? GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!! Call them back and get in SOONER!! Ask to talk to a nurse, not just the girl at the front desk. It might just be a influction of hormons, such as prolaction or a infection. Do NOT stimulate the nipple. Apply pressure to the breast with a sports bra and ace bandage. Secreting any milk will increase your prolaction levels, (which you do not want). Do not panic, but take care of your body.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ok ok, I have got the message, I *do* have a Dr's appointment scheduled ;)

I will see if I can dig a sports bra out of the dresser (and come to think of it, I have been 'jiggling' a lot more in the past few weeks on account of doing a lot more walking and working than I have been for a while, wonder if that's related), and if it gets worse or any redness etc develops I will see if they can get me in sooner.

Motrin is also a good idea, can you believe that I *didn't think of* taking any kind of NSAID for it? Doh! :p

Thanks,

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Could it be "that time of the month" pain perhaps?

I would use a warm compress, a rice bag or something to help ease the pain, till you can see the doc.

I BF till my daughter was 3 as well, but at that point she was only nursing once or twice a day, so stopping wasn't a big deal, she actually came back for more once or twice and then just stopped asking. I BF on one side only, and the other boob just quit on its own about 3 or 4 months after she was born.

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
patandchickens,
I feel for ya. I was "enlarged" and had milk for almost 2 years after I had quit breastfeeding my first child. Doc just said it happens sometimes. Dont know if this is the same with you though, as this just came about in the past week. I had read that you can take parsley (I bought some that was a liquid herb) and that should help dry you up. Didnt work for me though. Mine didnt quit until I become pregnant again. I hope everything is okay and that you arent it too much pain. Hopefully your Doc can get you in soon.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard of the cabbage leaves but never tried it myself. My SIL did that and said it worked great.

I did do the tight sports bra. Hurt like the dickens trying to get my milk to dry up.

Glad you have a dr's appt.

Not to be to personal...but your nipple should not be discolored.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nope, nipple looks normal, everything looks normal except boob is somewhat enlarged. (Although that one has always been *somewhat* larger than the other one, probably because it was always the more convenient side for me to nurse a baby on)

Anyone know any herbal thingies (besides parsley, which has been mentioned) that are supposed to help dry up milk? Maybe it is engorgement more than mastitis (since there is no visible redness)?

Ongoing thanks,

Pat (wearing a sports bra, but really needing to find the box that the other old bras are in, b/c this one was pretty snug even when my ribcage had not been slightly expanded by pregnancies, and is just too darn tight :p)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I breastfed my 3 kids but only for a short time-less than 3 months cause I was so uncomfortable. With my DS2, I think I had mild mastitis with alot of pain & a fever. I didn't go to a doctor about it at the time since it started on a late Friday. I ended up taking several hot showers, massaging and squeezing out any milk by hand. I didn't have a pump. By Monday morning I was better-wouldn't ya just know it? :/
Isn't mastitis when either the nipple is plugged &/or not all milk is emptied and creates infection?
The hot steamy showers help to open pores & "other openings" and massaging should get things moving. If I remember right, it hurt like the dickens to do this, but was neccessary to get relief.
I don't know if this would work for you or not because of your timing-mine was right away, not several months later. But it may be worth a try.
So sorry you're going thru this :hugs and I hope you find relief soon.