A little rant ...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think Pat had posted a thread on how to do construction projects with just one person, didn't she? It was very informative.

The older I get, the more I can appreciate being without a man to throw a wrench in things. They really are such a nuisance to most of the women who own one. Constant complaints about this man or that man but in the same breath will insist they couldn't live without them.....sort of like living with a really undisciplined dog of whom you are fond despite the many chewed up pieces of furniture. :p

Let's hear it for the gals who are SSing it alone out there! :woot

And this is not so far off topic....what to do with a man who won't listen and insists on being sick? Go without one! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a man. I have a wonderful VERRY good man.

I still need those how to build it yourself without any help instructions. Most of us SS gals are SS in everything we do. We get the job done when and HOW we want it done and if that means hammering while hubby is at work, a hammering we go!

One of the ways I can tell my hubby is a good man is he lets me hammer away when I want to and can actually appreciate what I get accomplished when I am done with none of the macho hangups. The only problem with that is I often get the ole "Hey, grab the other end of that and help me" thing when sometimes it is VERY hard and heavy work. Oh well all is fair. ;) :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Welcome hikerchick! You sound like a fun addition to our SS family :woot

I'd like to know more about warding off illness!

What form is the echinicea? Tell me more about vit D.

All this flu and my refusal to give into the vaccine is making me a little nervous that I am not doing enough (ok, anything) to keep my family safe and healthy.

Edited because I am an idiot :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about warding off illness!

What form is the echinicea? Tell me more about vit D
"The common cold

Dr. John Cannell MD, who captains the Vitamin D Council, recently authored a paper which shows the winter increase in colds and flu is attributed to low seasonal vitamin D levels. Dr. Cannell cites the earlier work of R. Edgar Hope-Simpson who first proposed that variations in exposure to solar radiation explains the seasonality of influenza epidemics. [Epidemiological Infection 134: 1129-40, Dec. 2006] Dr. Cannell even has a challenge for visitors to the Vitamin D Council website. He suggests high-dose vitamin D (50,000 IU 1.25 milligrams) be consumed for 3 days at the first sign of a cold or the flu. So far, Dr. Cannell is receiving many reports of how quickly high-dose vitamin D overpowers the common cold (this writer tried high-dose vitamin D with the first sign of sniffles this winter, and the vitamin D therapy worked rapidly both times)."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi70.html

"When you think about it, the flu and cold season is indistinguishable from the vitamin D deficiency season. Every autumn, as vitamin D levels plummet, the incidence of colds and flu skyrocket. After vitamin D levels bottom out during the darkest days of the cold and flu season, vitamin D levels rise again in the spring and the incidence of colds and flu steadily decrease until they virtually disappear during the vitamin D rich summer. It may be quite simple. Your body's innate immunity, especially the production of innate natural antibiotics called antimicrobial peptides, goes up and down every year with your vitamin D levels. (Acquired immunity is quite different, those are the antibodies you slowly develop after an infection or a flu shot.) Maintaining summer-time vitamin D levels in the winterby taking adequate amounts of vitamin D (5,000 IU per day)may help prevent colds or the flu by stimulating innate immunity. Preventing some of the one million deaths in the world every year from flu related illnesses is exciting enough; an equally exciting possibility is that large doses of vitamin D may be useful in treating the fluas well as other infections."
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2006-oct.shtml

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am learning more and more about this whole Vitamin D thing. It is even linked with CANCER. Far less cancer in the southern regions than in the north even adding in the higher skin cancer rates. I am taking Vitamin D these days.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When you stay of the sun to avoid skin cancer, you can reduce your risk of a benign type of skin cancer that is pretty common. Instead, the lack of vitamin D leads to deadly melanoma!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
It is "hikerchick" Dace... or are you teasing? :p
:gig
Ok clearly I am an idiot......I read her post about someone calling her biker chick ....and I was thinking is that so bad? To ride a motorcycle? I guess I got confused! :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very interesting about the vit D. Seems like it would be wise to add a supplement to our daily diet.

Thanks for the articles!

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
Farmfresh said:
It is "hikerchick" Dace... or are you teasing? :p
:gig
Ok clearly I am an idiot......I read her post about someone calling her biker chick ....and I was thinking is that so bad? To ride a motorcycle? I guess I got confused! :lol:
No problem! Nothing wrong with being a bikerchick- it's just that the person who used to call me that was trying to imply that because I am happily single, I am more manly than I should be.

Hmpf. I do have a chain saw and know how to use a gas powered log splitter - but still - I am feminine as a flower. :)