A must-see film!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Yeah, I just read recently that there is more proof that GM food is causing health problems in people. :/ It doesn't surprise me, but the genes that have been spliced into the food organisms are combining with the microorganisms in the digestive tract and are expressing their toxic properties there. I read that this might explain the apparent recent upsurge in irritable bowl syndrome.

I know . . . those Monsanto ads have been going on for a while now. I'm not sure who they think they are fooling. :lol:
I know that GMO cause health problems...how else do we justify the increases in asthma, ADHD and autism? I believe it is related.
I hate what monsanto is doing to us....very risky.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dace said:
DrakeMaiden said:
Yeah, I just read recently that there is more proof that GM food is causing health problems in people. :/ It doesn't surprise me, but the genes that have been spliced into the food organisms are combining with the microorganisms in the digestive tract and are expressing their toxic properties there. I read that this might explain the apparent recent upsurge in irritable bowl syndrome.

I know . . . those Monsanto ads have been going on for a while now. I'm not sure who they think they are fooling. :lol:
I know that GMO cause health problems...how else do we justify the increases in asthma, ADHD and autism? I believe it is related.
I hate what monsanto is doing to us....very risky.
Monsanto and Cargill are on a BLACK LIST in our area (well with some of us any way), there is a film that was done last year from some of the families affected in our area that is called Farming was my life it is on You Tube in 4 parts directed by Holly Hobbs and another one called We Sow that is about Iowa farms and residences affected. They are also worthly of watching and passing around the word about. I checked the theather veiwings of Food Inc and the closes one to me will be Columbia MO in Sept I think so that would be a 2 hour road trip. I will have to see if I can get a friend I have down there to possably go, and make it worth the travel. ;)

I am soo glad we raise our own chickens and garden. :th

Check those other 2 flims out they are worth it :thumbsup

:frow Karan :D :D

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't find a showing for Food, Inc listed for Ohio. Thanks, Kel, for the PBS link. Very interesting.

I do have a struggle convincing family members that the big corporation and processed foods are not safe and not healthy. They prefer to look at cheap and easy--spend less money and time on food and more on toys. We all pay in the end with our health. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Freemotion,

Can you tell me if there is explicit animal cruelty in the film? I just want to know before I invite my sensitive friend to go along with me.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I just found Food Inc playing at an theater that features independent films. It will be a little bit of a drive from where I am, I'll have to talk hubby into a night out ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Freemotion,

Can you tell me if there is explicit animal cruelty in the film? I just want to know before I invite my sensitive friend to go along with me.
Well, if your friend eats any animal products, she should see this, IMO....if she watches any primetime tv, that is far, far worse, even the shows that a lot of kids watch. I won't watch any CSI shows, too gory. I found Food, Inc to be tolerable.

The cruelty was there, not the theme of the movie, but brief and tastefully done (as far as that is possible, as cruelty is very distasteful :rolleyes: ) Scenes of crowded Frankenchicken operations, along with a touching interview with a farmer who was quitting because of the changes in the industry and the cruelty involved. She'd lost her contract when she refused to continue to make things even crueler for the birds, as the company was insisting she do.

Another example is a scene of a beef CAFO, very crowded, mucky animals, but no actual scene of slaughter. Also pigs in a factory, but behind a wall when killed. Downer cows being forced "up" so they could be legally killed and fed to schoolchildren! Brief but powerful scenes.

All contrasted with Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm and his kind and gentle and sustainable ways.....Beef cattle on grass, pigs in the woods and so clean that Joel lay down in their pen, reclining on the grass, while the camera's rolled and he was interviewed. Chickens free-ranging......for real for a change, not just words on a label. And customers willing to pay extra for this service to the animals.

Sorry, BBH, but I would (and have) reprimand any person, friend or otherwise, who wouldn't go see this film and was willing to eat any meat, dairy, poultry or eggs. :old