A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well i decided to run another load threw the incubator. A couple friends gave me a bunch of bantam eggs so i had to hatch them. Got no use for bantams but it breaks up the monotony. 48 eggs loaded.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chicken math at it’s best! Maybe you can sell them as day old chicks and make a little money off of them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Another victim of chicken math! lol Not that I can talk... I just set some duck eggs 3 days ago and am waiting for a shipment of chicken eggs now.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another victim of chicken math! lol Not that I can talk... I just set some duck eggs 3 days ago and am waiting for a shipment of chicken eggs now.
:gig:gig:gig

Seemed like a good idea at the time

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you like pickled eggs those small bantam eggs work well. I used to love the little eggs as a kid but, now I am not a fan. Even when my hens lay the smaller sized, customers don't really want them.

right now I have some RIRs. Beautiful, large birds. But to my surprise these are laying much smaller eggs than I normally get. :( They get everything that others get & free range like them. :idunno Like I said "big birds". Will make nice chicken salad! If I didn't have customers, it wouldn't be an issue. I see new hen plans forming in my head (& coop!). Shame, they really are nice birds in all other ways.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I lived on a small lot "in town" and was not selling extra eggs, Banties might make sense. My first flock was started in 6th grade with 4 banties that were hatched in the school incubator.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you like pickled eggs those small bantam eggs work well. I used to love the little eggs as a kid but, now I am not a fan. Even when my hens lay the smaller sized, customers don't really want them.

right now I have some RIRs. Beautiful, large birds. But to my surprise these are laying much smaller eggs than I normally get. :( They get everything that others get & free range like them. :idunno Like I said "big birds". Will make nice chicken salad! If I didn't have customers, it wouldn't be an issue. I see new hen plans forming in my head (& coop!). Shame, they really are nice birds in all other ways.

Yeah i dont reckon ill be selling many bantam eggs. I just wanna change stuff up a litttle.