A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a whole lotsa eggs! Have you tried to sell the chicks?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Relax guys. Im not turning a thousand chickens loose on the country side. That would be cool tho. :lol:

The rabbit situation is gonna come together soon. I got a new buck today. Hes a texas a&m. They are supposed to be the end all in hot weather meat rabbits. Im going to try and get a doe in the next couple weeks.

I took a drive to Oklahoma today to get said rabbit. The folks who sold him to me had a really nice homestead. A huge barn with 40 goats that also housed all the freerange chickens that were roosting in the rafters and held all of the hundred or so rabbit cages. They also had a huge garden, and 11 beehives. It was quite a place. And i could honestly use a little inspiration

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago when I had show rabbits, I kept them in hanging wire cages in a barn. The chicken coop was attached to the rabbit barn. The chickens kept the dropped feed cleaned up, kept the rabbit poop turned, ate the fly larva and laid eggs. It was a win-win.

Congrats on the new rabbit. I always shut down breeding during the summer and resumed it in the fall when it cooled down.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Years ago when I had show rabbits, I kept them in hanging wire cages in a barn. The chicken coop was attached to the rabbit barn. The chickens kept the dropped feed cleaned up, kept the rabbit poop turned, ate the fly larva and laid eggs. It was a win-win.

Congrats on the new rabbit. I always shut down breeding during the summer and resumed it in the fall when it cooled down.

Yeah i figure being pregnant is tough enough without wearing a fur coat in the summer. Waiting on fall

Latest posts