A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes much better than the white beach sand we started with!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You've made great in improvements in just 3 years!

thanks. not much to it. add chips, layer with greens and manures, do a little trench composting, repeat. spread enough rabbit manure over wood chips and get a wet winter and your mulch is gone before spring. I think we are up to like 3 feet total mulching over the years. now we got about 8-10 inches of the black stuff

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... don't have any rabbit manure but I do have an overabundance of goat/pig/horse stuff. I'll be digging out a couple of cart loads outta the barn soon.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm... don't have any rabbit manure but I do have an overabundance of goat/pig/horse stuff. I'll be digging out a couple of cart loads outta the barn soon.
I just think if it as a compost pile. as a matter of fact in the winter we just dump the compost bin in the garden and let the chickens eat what they want. the chickens run the garden in off season anyway so it's a win win

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it’s supposed to get down to 29 or 28 degrees. We keep our little granddaughters this weekend, so we’ll get out there and plant English peas, beets, onion sets and mustard greens. The 5 year old is interested in zucchini candy and zucchini fruit roll ups, she loves them. LOL too early for zucchini!

do you grow mustard greens from seed?