A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bad news on the homestead. my doe with kits has snuffles. it's very contagious and can turn into pneumonia. often fatal.

so it looks like I'll be dealing with that soon. it will be a good time to rebuild cages, rearrange/relocate and work on something more comfortable for them in summer. and maybe I can build a new herd with new Zealand whites. much better production!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bad news on the homestead. my doe with kits has snuffles. it's very contagious and can turn into pneumonia. often fatal.

so it looks like I'll be dealing with that soon. it will be a good time to rebuild cages, rearrange/relocate and work on something more comfortable for them in summer. and maybe I can build a new herd with new Zealand whites. much better production!

arg!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The good thing about starting out on a new venture with mixed breed animals of any kind, is that they are usually cheaper to buy, more readily available and I call them "learning stock". My ewes are mixed breed, some have died along the way, mostly due to my own ignorance, but at least I didn't lose an expensive registered animal. I am now considering up grading my ewes to pure bred, registered Katahdins.

So you got started, you have learned a lot along the way. Now you are ready to upgrade to better bred animals, pure bred, a breed specifically bred for many, many years for meat production. You have some experience now, you are a better Rabbit Daddy, LOL.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
schools all closed for 1-2 weeks round here. it's about to get nasty.