A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
half way into plucking a runaway horse jumped the fence and was running full speed at our little slaughter station from the rear of the property. the kids screamed in fear and I jumped up running toward the horse hoping to turn him. this guy beat me to the horse and went for his throat. he didn't get the horse but he turned him and saved the kids from possibly getting ran over. I didn't know he had it in him.

20200614_104337.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chicken is resting in the fridge and stock is in the pressure cooker. still have alot to get done. this was only 6. can't believe how much meat we got

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
half way into plucking a runaway horse jumped the fence and was running full speed at our little slaughter station from the rear of the property. the kids screamed in fear and I jumped up running toward the horse hoping to turn him. this guy beat me to the horse and went for his throat. he didn't get the horse but he turned him and saved the kids from possibly getting ran over. I didn't know he had it in him.

Give that guy a steak dinner! (or at least some of that chicken, lol) Great animals! I had a Pyr save me from a pi$$ed off hog many years ago!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the chicken pickin’ party! Great way to raise your kids. CCX are a great way to stock the freezer in a short time. Good job!

Good dog! Yes, he earned his chicken scraps! Did the owner catch the horse?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the chicken pickin’ party! Great way to raise your kids. CCX are a great way to stock the freezer in a short time. Good job!

Good dog! Yes, he earned his chicken scraps! Did the owner catch the horse?
yes he got the horse pit back in his pen.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's been a weekend. worked my tail off and feel like I got nothing done.
Saturday we pulled all the potatoes and onions, tilled a spot and sowed okra and melons. harvested squash and green beans, canned the new potatoes and green beans.

today we butchered chickens, quartered and packaged them, made stock,
pulled the patch of mustard greens in the rabbit pen that went to seed and hung all of them on the porch to dry, tilled and sowed melons in their place, transplanted 10 jalapeno plants into one of the raised beds, cleaned out the grow out pen, moved chicks from the brooder to the pen, then cleaned the brooder to get ready for new chicks coming in, then went and cleaned out a horse stall for a friend and got to keep all the composted manure. we shuvelled a pick up truck load and then unloaded it in the orchard.

need to mow tomorrow.

Latest posts