A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Me, too! I have the same issue. Fortunately for me, some of my jobs I can rearrange the date to do....so can stay home in good weather. One day you'll be old enough to have those type jobs & privileges. :lol: :old

i make much more $ growing food than i did at the part-time job, not counting the hassle of having to get ready, the clothes, expense of the extra car, unsurance, etc. i figure i'm way ahead since i quit that job. of course, i may just be justification in hindsight as i do prefer my quiet stay-at-home-garden life here. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug I can do ok with veggie sales ( IF I CAN tame this darned garden area!!), egg sales & goat kids. Next year I will probably "be there".

Here we have a veggie auction for commercial &/or home growers. So you can take a truck load or a bushel basket full. Many "farmers market" stand owners buy there. It's every Thu evening. State operated. It doesn't require a consistent amount or time to be "open" etc. So even the home gardeners with "overages" can sell. It's nice. Fun, too.

Also have a real good goat/sheep auction 10 miles from me, once a month....they do rabbits, birds, occasional cow/calf, pig, lama, etc.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
gonna be a long night again. got corn and squash to blanch, package and freeze and green beans to can.
I have done those up till 3 AM putting up ___________ (fill in the blank) Then be at work the next morning. Yup, I totally get where you are coming from. Retirement is pretty darn great, should have gotten an earlier start on it. LOL LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have done those up till 3 AM putting up ___________ (fill in the blank) Then be at work the next morning. Yup, I totally get where you are coming from. Retirement is pretty darn great, should have gotten an earlier start on it. LOL LOL
oh that would be nice

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
corn is starting to come in....we still have a BUNCH in the freezer from last year. not a bad problem to have.

6 more quarts of chicken stock in the pantry from last night and 4 more quarts of green beans in the canner as I type. the wife asked how many cans we have put up this year and I got to looking and found over 150. it's still early too. haha
20200616_212130.jpg