A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Way worse than here, for me, in VA. But so much water sitting everywhere, we'd just be one huge ice cube if it got that cold!!! I'm still not enjoying this cold, wet I got. But better than yours. Mud. Water. Boots. Walk very carefully.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tonight's weather report says snow is starting at 1 am. the low Monday will be -4 and low Tuesday will be -6.

there are rumors of rolling blackouts being scheduled. we have enough propane to make it through a night if needed but that's about it. the house is all electric.

it's 21 right now and the chicken coup is holding 36°f. the shed is holding 38. my dog is very unhappy about the shed but he's gonna have to suck it up.

we got candles, blankets, lanterns, camp stoves, a propane fire pit, carbon monoxide detectors and flash lights on the ready. idk what else can be done. just gotta drudge through it I guess. the waiting sux.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be cutting saplings around the pond bank tomorrow with my chainsaw. Tomorrow looks like my window of opportunity. Mostly corkscrew Willow which ain't good for firewood. Then I can pile them up and burn them late next week while there is a good layer of snow on the ground. That's my plan anyways...

Screenshot_20210213-220822.png

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are on Wood county electric co-op. They give great service. Power goes out, but never stays off very long. If our power goes off and stays off, it is gonna get real hard around here. I boil water on the stove to water the sheep, dogs and chickens. We are all electric. I am not looking forward to any of this.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far, I haven't had to tote hot water this year! Unusual. I sure don't miss it. Still have two weeks of the dreaded Feb weather. :idunno 🤪. Hoping for none.

This cold is WAY beyond TX norms -- meaning the worst norms you see.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's 12°f this morning. the chickens refuse to come out of the coup. the dog runs from me in fear of being put back in the shed. no frozen pipes yet. got a little dusting of snow and it's still coming down.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything is coated with sleet. Trip and Carson were snug on their beds on the porch this morning so I let them in the house. On my second cup of coffee, then I’ll layer up in warm clothing and go outside to do chores. Friday it’s supposed to be above freezing.

Its 21F high of 23F today. Down to single digits tonight. This is the coldest it’s been for this long of time since we’ve lived here.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everything is coated with sleet. Trip and Carson were snug on their beds on the porch this morning so I let them in the house. On my second cup of coffee, then I’ll layer up in warm clothing and go outside to do chores. Friday it’s supposed to be above freezing.

Its 21F high of 23F today. Down to single digits tonight. This is the coldest it’s been for this long of time since we’ve lived here.

sleet is the worst. don't drive in that crap if you don't have to.