A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well he's gonna have to tough it out in the 30 degree shed tonight when it hits -4 outside. I've never put him up before but its never been this cold here before. same with the rabbits. they have made it through 15°f nights in wire cages outside with no ill effects, but that's cold enough. tonight they are gonna be in a 30°f barn out of the wind.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bro I don't know much about heat pumps. I just checked the large diameter copper pipe is warm. The small diameter copper pipe is cold but not frozen. This is on the pump outside. Is this good or bad?
that's normal. just watch the outside coil. if it looks like a block of ice switch to emergency heat. super low temps and any kind of precipitation can be too much for the defrost function to keep up with.

when it got below 20 here with snow I switched mine to emergency heat and I plan to keep it there until this weather breaks. emergency heast just runs the electric heat strips and shuts off the heat pump.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unless you have a geothermal. in which case your good for what ever

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well he's gonna have to tough it out in the 30 degree shed tonight when it hits -4 outside. I've never put him up before but its never been this cold here before. same with the rabbits. they have made it through 15°f nights in wire cages outside with no ill effects, but that's cold enough. tonight they are gonna be in a 30°f barn out of the wind.
Thats the important part with rabbits is keeping the wind off. Mine have a seperate compartment to go into to keep out of the drafts. Right now its stuffed with straw they burrow into.
Baby buns are all snugged and warm in the nest box so everyones good.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
outside temp right now 7°f. inside 63°f. there have been rolling blackouts during the night. I had a feeling we might lose power and made sure each kid had at least 4 blankets on their beds. wishing we were better prepped.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ov
outside temp right now 7°f. inside 63°f. there have been rolling blackouts during the night. I had a feeling we might lose power and made sure each kid had at least 4 blankets on their beds. wishing we were better prepped.
Hopefully, that wont happen. Do you have a generator? I just got my Mom the Duracell 660 solar generator. It will keep her fridge running for 5 hours.
Im considering a Bluetti. I do have a gas generator that hasnt been used yet, but have it for just in case.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is happening and I don't have a generator. purpose grid just isn't up for this kinda cold. we will be alright tho. I'm poor white trash from way back. know how to survive. 😁

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s 7F here, low tonight of ONE degree. ONE! 6-8” of snow. Have 17 baby lambs, got to start hauling boiling water to the moms so they can make milk. On the last of their round bale of hay, I hauled 2 square bales from the horse barn yesterday evening to the portable building for the sheep so they don’t run out. Going to layer up and start chores. This sucks. We still have power. That doesn’t suck. I was exhausted last night from caring for the animals, today will be much harder. I’ll check in here tonight.