A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
19 degrees here, got 3” of snow on top of the 7” we already had. The neighborhood of some 2,000 households where our DD and family used to live , just 7 miles from us, has been out of power over 48 hours. Old people have been found in their yards trying to get help, disoriented by the cold. Nobody has died yet, there are rescues going on. It’s BAD out there folks. Pray for the seniors and the sick that have no heat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m done with this crap too. But it ain’t done with us!
Hunkered down.
Getting another cup of coffee, then have to layer up, go outside and start carrying boiling water to animals. I’m exhausted. Can’t stop, gotta keep going forward.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks like the water shortage got to us finally. our little neighborhood is on a separate water company. they have a small water tower. they buy the water from the city tho. yesterday the city had a main break and issued a boil order. today our water is brackish. called the water company and they asked that we conserve as much as possible and boil. the tank is neat empty I believe and it's to be expected with the blackouts.

the last 12 months have really shown us all the holes in our preps. we have 21 gallons of water, a filter and there's a pond on the property out back that's frozen over. so I'm sure we will be fine but I really need to get stuff in order.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a FYI... Snow is frozen water. Good to drink? IDK... But a boil and water purification tablets might be the ticket in an emergency??? When I was younger mom use to make snow cream and I'm still alive 🤣

Instead of getting city water. I just pack the turkey waterer with snow and put it on the heater. It slowly melts and they drink it.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cereal, when you were younger we didn’t have chem trails.... :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This year has surely thrown some special challenges at us. Lessons we learn the hard way are seldom pleasant, but still better than an all out SHTF situation. This has given us an opportunity to examine our preparations for situations that could be worse than this.

I don’t like what I see. With no power and no water, we’re screwed. Since our DD and family moved away, this is no longer my forever home. You can bet’cher boots that I will address these issues at my next place. DH is digging in his heels, guess I’ll just have to drag him along kicking and screaming.

This double wide is unsustainable without power. An oven in summer and a freezer in winter. Don’t want to put in any effort to change that here. Taking it all into consideration, my mind is turning. Probably will be moving in the next few years.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This year has surely thrown some special challenges at us. Lessons we learn the hard way are seldom pleasant, but still better than an all out SHTF situation. This has given us an opportunity to examine our preparations for situations that could be worse than this.

I don’t like what I see. With no power and no water, we’re screwed. Since our DD and family moved away, this is no longer my forever home. You can bet’cher boots that I will address these issues at my next place. DH is digging in his heels, guess I’ll just have to drag him along kicking and screaming.

This double wide is unsustainable without power. An oven in summer and a freezer in winter. Don’t want to put in any effort to change that here. Taking it all into consideration, my mind is turning. Probably will be moving in the next few years.
look for a small house with a big barn! 🤣🤣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wink, wink wink...