A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have one of those blue flame propane wall heaters. The heater is in the garage, the propane tanks and 10' hose is in the barn. We us it an emergency, usually just to heat a small section of the house. It takes about 10 minutes to mount to a wall, hang the heater, connect the hose and get it lit. It works real well and no electricity required. Just be careful of carbon monoxide. Most fire alarms have that alarm now. Ours shuts off when it senses low oxygen. A BBQ grill size tank (I think that's 20lbs???) lasts about 2 days&nights and is a quick exchange at just about gas station or farm store. I try and keep two full tanks, but I'm pretty sure I have 1 1/2 tanks full now from processing chickens. I have 5 or 6 of those BBQ grill tanks. Thanks for reminding me that I need some exchanges.

low dipped down to 2°f around 8 o clock today. I ran ALOT of heat calls....alot of nuisance calls too. roads are compacted snow now. will be solid ice in the morning. temps tonight in the negatives. -2 or -5 has been said a few times. wind chills around 20 below tomorrow morning.

I've made up my mind this is never happening again. I'm gonna get a propane tank delivered and install wall heaters for just incase.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s 9F now, going below zero. A propane heater is sooo nice to back up to and get toasty warm. Wish I had one!

We got 7” of snow over the ice we got yesterday and last Thursday. I carried buckets of boiling water to sheep, dogs, steer and horses to melt ice. Chickens I swap out water container and they Ike their warm water!
I am tired.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s 9F now, going below zero. A propane heater is sooo nice to back up to and get toasty warm. Wish I had one!

We got 7” of snow over the ice we got yesterday and last Thursday. I carried buckets of boiling water to sheep, dogs, steer and horses to melt ice. Chickens I swap out water container and they Ike their warm water!
I am tired.

Not trying to tell you how to dress, just looking out for you guys. Even a tied bandana pulled up over you mouth and nose, really helps keep your neck and lower face warm. You know like the bandits worn in the old western movies. Dress in layers, etc... please just be careful of exposed skin. When it gets this cold it doesn't take long get frostbite.

I'm still paying for frost bite I got when I was a kid. My toes and fingers turn purple, almost black. When they get cold and man does it hurt bad. I would want you guys to get frostbite, it's no joke.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I am tired.

It's a good low tech and effective "insurance policy" that doesn't need electricity, should you ever really have to need it in emergencies. I like it because it's semi portable. Hang it when and where, I need it. Then take it down when I don't need it anymore.

Probably the hardest part is finding two wall studs to mount the bracket so you can hang it on the wall. You'll need a long hose with a regulator and some steel pipe and a gas shut off valve to connect it all and keep the propane tank a safe distance from the heater.

I also have a propane burner. If we had too, we could use it to cook a big pot of soup and eat for a long time from veggies and meat from the freezer.

Those 20 lbs propane tanks are the cats' meow. So much you can do with them and easy to move around.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We haven't lost power-yet-and pray we don't.

@CrealCritter I have some flannel lined blue jeans I found at a discount store, they are Cabella's $50 jeans, I got them for $6. I got 3 pair.

I put on a thermal shirt. Over that I wear my Scotland sweatshirt. In 1980, my parents took a trip to England and Scotland. My Mom brought me back a sweatshirt. It is so warm that I can only wear it a few days out of the year. Get this, it was made in Mexico, 50% cotton, 50% polyester, sent to Scotland for an American tourist to buy. LOL LOL Any how, I put that sweat shirt over my thermal shirt, then a sweat hoodie. I put on a knit hat and the sweat hoodie over that.

I have a pair of Carhart overalls my son outgrew and gave to me. I put them over the flannel lined jeans. i have a thick pair of wool socks. I wear pull on work boots. Over the sweat hoodie, I put on a Carhart coat. I have blanket lined gloves. And out the door I go. I stay toasty warm, can even take a cold lamb and stuff her in my coat to warm her up. LOL

I've had the blue flame propane heaters. I like them. The last one I had was given to a woman with 4 kids and no heat.

I want to thank you for your concern and advice. My answer is not a smart alec retort, but to calm your fears. I come in every couple of hours to warm back up, but really, I stay warm outside.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

@CrealCritter I have some flannel lined blue jeans I found at a discount store, they are Cabella's $50 jeans, I got them for $6. I got 3 pair.

I put on a thermal shirt. Over that I wear my Scotland sweatshirt. In 1980, my parents took a trip to England and Scotland. My Mom brought me back a sweatshirt. It is so warm that I can only wear it a few days out of the year. Get this, it was made in Mexico, 50% cotton, 50% polyester, sent to Scotland for an American tourist to buy. LOL LOL Any how, I put that sweat shirt over my thermal shirt, then a sweat hoodie. I put on a knit hat and the sweat hoodie over that.

I have a pair of Carhart overalls my son outgrew and gave to me. I put them over the flannel lined jeans. i have a thick pair of wool socks. I wear pull on work boots. Over the sweat hoodie, I put on a Carhart coat. I have blanket lined gloves. And out the door I go. I stay toasty warm, can even take a cold lamb and stuff her in my coat to warm her up. LOL

I've had the blue flame propane heaters. I like them. The last one I had was given to a woman with 4 kids and no heat.

I want to thank you for your concern and advice. My answer is not a smart alec retort, but to calm your fears. I come in every couple of hours to warm back up, but really, I stay warm outside.

Just love you guys is all. Stay safe and warm.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How long is your rolling blackouts lasting and how often?
we haven't had any yet. my neighbor has. they are getting 20 mins of electricity every hour. I just left their house and it was 59 in there and dropping. I left them some small propane bottles and a heater (my back up stuff)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

be careful on those dang roads. snow over ice can't be good. hoping this all clears up soon.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a good low tech and effective "insurance policy" that doesn't need electricity, should you ever really have to need it in emergencies. I like it because it's semi portable. Hang it when and where, I need it. Then take it down when I don't need it anymore.

Probably the hardest part is finding two wall studs to mount the bracket so you can hang it on the wall. You'll need a long hose with a regulator and some steel pipe and a gas shut off valve to connect it all and keep the propane tank a safe distance from the heater.

I also have a propane burner. If we had too, we could use it to cook a big pot of soup and eat for a long time from veggies and meat from the freezer.

Those 20 lbs propane tanks are the cats' meow. So much you can do with them and easy to move around.
I'm thinking of snatching up one of those old propane deerbornes from work that sit in the storage shed and rigging up a hose with a pressure regulator on it to run the thing.

Latest posts