A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chickens are still laying more than we can eat and weve given a few hens away to a neighbor. i may scramble and freeze some more eggs for winter
20210528_112717.jpg

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chickens are still laying more than we can eat and weve given a few hens away to a neighbor. i may scramble and freeze some more eggs for winterView attachment 15927
Ive been cooking my overflow in a huge pot and mashing everything up as much as possible then feeding back to the hens. I wait for it to cool off if course before they get it. I find its easier to mash everything right after draining the water off. Seems when they cool a bit its harder.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Extra eggs: I saw a you tube video about eggs making tomatoes grow extra well. I know that an old timer technique, especially with corn is to bury fish in the planting hole. So, I thought: why not egg? The shell has lots of calcium, and there is a lot of protein in the egg. So, when planting tomatoes this spring, I've been putting an egg (cracked open) in some of the planting holes. Did the same with some peppers and egg plant. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference in plant productivity.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Radish: looks like french breakfast? My favorite kind of radish. They make a great snack, sliced with a dollop of peanut butter between the slices. I use radish as row markers when planting the garden, so there's always some new ones coming along.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got the meat birds moved out today. i usually would have waited another week but we have new chicks in the brooder.
they havent needed the light in a few days so im sure they will do ok
20210529_193724.jpg
20210529_193702.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well the grass is a foot tall and its too dang mushy to mow. the mower just gets stuck and ruts up the yard. so im doing my monthly test run of the generator. seems to be running good. gotta keep things in order, ya know.

wishin i was mowin.

Latest posts