A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170830_193733.jpg

Our only fall crop, the black eyed peas, isn't doing very well in the wood chips. I may need to mix up a batch of rabbit poo tea for them.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, our Okra's still growing strong. I pulled the tomatoes today. Nothing else is left except our pepper plants.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Next year those chips will have rotted into a finer composite and the seeds will do far better. Just be sure you get the seeds into that layer. Then grass clippings, then more mulch. Add some chicken & rabbit manure to it all. Come Spring you should have even more success in that garden. You had a good run this yr!!

I pick up my tiller from the shop in AM. Yippee......want to turn an area so it can be used. Gotta get the grass out of that little round pen. Collards, Kale, Cabbage, Peas....all that stuff still has time to grow here. Should have 3 days to work it next week. :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Next year those chips will have rotted into a finer composite and the seeds will do far better. Just be sure you get the seeds into that layer. Then grass clippings, then more mulch. Add some chicken & rabbit manure to it all. Come Spring you should have even more success in that garden. You had a good run this yr!!

I pick up my tiller from the shop in AM. Yippee......want to turn an area so it can be used. Gotta get the grass out of that little round pen. Collards, Kale, Cabbage, Peas....all that stuff still has time to grow here. Should have 3 days to work it next week. :)

I was planning on doing a big fall garden. But I'm just sick of pulling weeds and grass. I'm trying to choke it all out. And as you can see my garden is surrounded by giant weeds that block sunlight part of the day. I'm going to kill them all, even the ones on the neighbors side

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just cut around ours with a mower and weed eater, but I can see how hard that would be with your fence. The critters eating my garden this summer were too small to be deterred by a fence.
We got two inches of rain yesterday and as soon as that soil loosened, I was out there pulling grass. It grows so high and thick so fast! I was reading on easy gardens (?) last night about people who cover their whole garden with black plastic to speed decomposition and to choke out the weeds but too many of them had snakes show up for me to be comfortable with trying it.
We're going to use some of those crates we got to try raised beds. Or maybe I'll do a whole garden of okra and peppers and supply restaurants or something. Nothing seems to slow them down...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can do plastic solarization with just a couple months of sun. So, if you hold plastic until Jan/Feb/Mar (depends where you live) the snakes should already be in their holes. & you only have short time to wait. The edges, yep MOW.

I have my tiller in the truck bed :celebrate Work next 4 days but if weather good, will get it used in late day. Then 3 days of next week. So long as things go well. Rain for wknd. So??? Will see.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170903_091822.jpg

My broody hen with her chicks. They are coming along nicely. They will be getting the boot from the little house in a couple weeks tho. Another hen went broody and she's sitting on 11.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170903_091750.jpg

The black eyed peas perked up some. Rabbit poo and a heavy watering did them well

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170903_091754.jpg

The okra is stretching toward eight feet. It's kind of a pain to pick and the wife is sick of canning it. She got upset at me for watering it. Haha