A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should pick the okra and give it to friends, neighbors or co-workers.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Dehydrate all the extra and give it away :) And stop watering the plants now!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How long do you keep it in the dehydrator? I've never dehydrated them before, but have a big batch sitting on my cupboard.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well let's see, a few things have happened since I updated this thread.

I finished with the wood chips and what not on the garden. The spot I covered a couple months ago has gone from 8 inches deep to 3 or 4 and has an inch of black humus at the bottom. That's gonna be nice next year.

I still have a large abundance of grass clippings I need to rake up and use for something. The chicken coup has about a foot of bedding now. I'm thinking of putting some more on top of the wood chips in the garden or making a big pile of clippings and covering it with a tarp to have bedding on hand in the future....idk

I'd like to have a truck load of fresh manure to top the garden with. Maybe extra nitrogen would speed the decomposition of the mulch.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fresh manure can have seeds in it, I wouldn't spread it on all your hard work..... Take your grass clippings and toss in the coop. I used to pick up bagged leaves on the curbs and pile in the chicken coop, up to 4 feet deep! They broke it down and turned it into compost for me. Make use of those chickens!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today my broody hen started pecking one of the chicks. She drew blood in a couple places. She hasn't laid an egg in 6 months because she wanted to raise chics and then couldn't get that right. Luckily they are feathered out because she is compost now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You didn't put her in the stew pot?

I have vicious, mean rooster that I kept telling my 2 year old grand daughter that we were going to eat. She'd echo, EAT that mean rooster! Finally DH and I did the deed. I let the carcass rest several days in the refrigerator before simmering him all day long. I put the meat and rich broth in 4 containers.

We kept the grands last weekend. The 10 year old brought a friend, the 2 year old has a broke leg and sported a cast from her toes to above the knee and the 1 year old was cutting two top front teeth. I made Mean Rooster Soup with bow tie pasta. I spooned 3 serving spoons worth up for the 2 year old. She asked for more and "give me more of that rooster juice". Rooster juice. ROTFLMAO She ate 5 bowls of soup!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's what I should have done. But I worked all day and took my boy to scouts. By the time I made it home it was 730 and I wasnt plucking a chicken that late.....and I wasn't waiting to solve the problem either.

Maybe a little wasteful but will be good compost for the garden