A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well it's not all doom and gloom. One of the does is pulling fur.

Hopefully I can get the other 2 bred soon. The first time is always the hardest

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd say she did good if that's a first litter. Of course, she was a little ornery with the drama LOL I hope she takes good care of them for you.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
another doe kindle last night. The kids found 2 kits on the wire this morning. No pulled fur in the nest box. One had it's legs eaten off by the dog. I guess they were hanging threw the wire. She moved the remaining kit to the other does box. After work we found 4 of them dead in the nest box. Reason unknown.

I figure it's pars for the coarse, first time mom's and all.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the doe that had 2 kits on the wire and didn't build a nest also wasn't very receptive of the buck. But I rebred her today and she was very receptive. 4 times! Looks like it's gonna be smooth sailing with her now.

Still have to rebreed the one that missed. And I'm gonna wait a week to rebreed the one with kits. I should just about have them in the swing of things by winter.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the lost kits :( But it sounds like good things are happening otherwise.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
another doe kindle last night. The kids found 2 kits on the wire this morning. No pulled fur in the nest box. One had it's legs eaten off by the dog. I guess they were hanging threw the wire. She moved the remaining kit to the other does box. After work we found 4 of them dead in the nest box. Reason unknown.

I figure it's pars for the coarse, first time mom's and all.

You might try to figure out a way to keep the dog away from your rabbit hutches. A dog under the hutch eating on a baby is enough to make a new momma go more than a little bonkers. If the dog came back, hanging around under the hutch, the doe might have trampled the kits, jumping in the box "protecting" them.