A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
getting pretty close to lockdown. The air sacks seemed a little small compared to past hatches. I have been running between 40 and 45% humidity according to my cheap hygrometer.

The past couple days I have let it go dry and it's been holding 20-30% in hopes of enlarging the airsack before lockdown.

Had a little bit of a scare the other day. I candles them and went to bed. I forgot to check the correct placement of my temp probe for the thermostat. The next day I found the probe was on the wall and the temp was 106. The eggs were 102°f. But I have candles them several times since and none are dead yet so I'm still hopeful

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we'll see. I think they are gonna be fine.

My doe that didn't kindle, kindled today. WAY late! I had already pulled the nest boxes. It was in the high 30s last night and raining.
Better luck next month. Hopefully we will get in the swing of things soon.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might try to figure out a way to keep the dog away from your rabbit hutches. A dog under the hutch eating on a baby is enough to make a new momma go more than a little bonkers. If the dog came back, hanging around under the hutch, the doe might have trampled the kits, jumping in the box "protecting" them.

I need to just fence around the cages. I been talking about it for months.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to just fence around the cages. I been talking about it for months.
Yeah, I do that too. I know that I need to do something, but keep putting it off. My favorite MO is to start something, then go start something else, then something else.....and finally finish something when it gets to emergency NOW time. :lol:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bator is locked down. I loaded it up with water and it's reading 50% and the window is sweating. That little hygrometer is off big time. Lol

Gotta get that straight before I set eggs again.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171111_122232.jpg

Gonna try something new. These old hens needed to go.

I found a video on it. The lady pressure cooked them for 90mins at 10lbs, debone and then pressure cooked the bones in the same water to make stock.
She left the stock in the fridge over night, removed the fat off the top and then used it to pressure can the shredded chicken for 90 mins at 10lbs. She had a couple jars of plain stock as well.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Birds look good - but I'm confused. You pressure can the meat twice? Wonder what the theory is behind that? Let us k now how it goes!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Birds look good - but I'm confused. You pressure can the meat twice? Wonder what the theory is behind that? Let us k now how it goes!

No no. You pressure cook the whole bird. Then debone and can the meat.

They say pressure cooking it makes it more tender. We will see.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok y'all, my pesto canner is holding 15 lbs of pressure. I think i may habe the wrong jiggler.