A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have that book too. :)

Your garden looks great! My plants are sitting in my garage right now. We're expecting frost this weekend. Then maybe I can plant.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all the rows I planted are holding water. We will see how it goes. More rain tomorrow

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's gonna be what it's gonna be. So far nothing has came up. The little onions I planted aren't doing too well either. If it all fails I'll buy plants from a nursery in May.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here too, puddles everywhere, raining again, but my rain barrels are filling up and I'll be really happy to have all that rain water when things dry up. :weee

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm ready to get rid of them, but not exactly looking forward to the work

That's always the problem, isn't is? :D But, I like the broodies to hatch & train for me, so always excess roos to dispatch. Honestly, until this past year, I haven't kept a rooster, so only non-fertile eggs. When they began going broody, I got eggs elsewhere and then, my raised from chicks roosters were old enough to do their jobs. Add some hatched roos and yes, the butcher time has begun again. Personally, I hate the job but, the "doing" is the hardest. Once you start, you just roll along. Used to do butcher, just not for a few years.
Even if only dog food, the roos have to go. I've sold a few that were pure breeds but, mostly they want them FREE.

You know, I've seen plucker attachments that you can place on a drill and do one at a time, by hand. It's an option and surely faster than hand pulling. If only a few, skinning is just easier.

In the grocery I saw chicken feet for sale....they were packaged as "chicken paws". WHAT??? They don't have paws!!

You can double crop some of your garden -- tomatoes take a while to grow/enlarge, you can plant some fast grow items between them. Grow, harvest, then larger plant takes up space. But, you got 2 crops! You can grow vining things and let them spread all thru some of the other things -- WATCH your step. :rolleyes: Of course, there's always trellis/upward fence, which you already know & use.

Anything grown is less to BUY.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180303_104953.jpg

6 chickens in the freezer!

Latest posts