A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Skinning. Chickens are so time consuming. Those skinny roosters ain't worth plucking anyway. I just cut off the legs, thighs and breasts and then compost the rest. Next time I might take more time with it and make some chicken stock

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I skin mine too. I cut off the breast and package for stir fry. I package the drumsticks and thighs. I simmer the bony back pieces and breast bones and can broth. Then I can the bony back pieces, necks, 1/2 cup cooked rice and whatever vegetables are in the garden, for dog food! They love it!

Compost it? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself! You've learned a LOT in a very short time. Some things you do until you know better.;)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
na, I know better. Just trying to hurry. Rush on the weekend to get everything done and keep up with all the kids and their stuff.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
na, I know better. Just trying to hurry. Rush on the weekend to get everything done and keep up with all the kids and their stuff.
Nothing wrong with that. I think you are doing a great job. You are teaching your kids how to feed themselves, setting a wonderful example of what a father and husband is supposed to be.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh man the weekend is finally here! Gonna check some stuff off the list for sure!

And I got another video up. It's not terrible

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really like that one, and it was nice to see your wife and hear your kids. :)
Your garage/shed is amazingly neat and organized. Did I count right in your other video? Seven axes? I was just looking for ONE here two days ago! I do think we have one...somewhere... :lol:
I think your family is doing a great job! And there should be at least some playing in homesteading. Isn't that the point? But seriously, if someone's being a pain, just remember you've got a ton of support here!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I collect and restore old axes. Kind of a hobby