A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow new look, but? Kinda sucks on mobile.

Ive been Burning my candle at both ends. Work is busy as ever and I got roped into remodeling and rewiring a small house. Not much down time.
Its time to breed rabbits but they are too fat and lazy. To be honest i might get out of the rabbit business. Not sure.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good to see you back for a minute. You don't have any problems keeping busy!

I have really enjoyed the times when I've raised quail. If you get out of rabbits - you'll have the cages so it would be an easy switch over if you decided to give it a try. I've never had a problem with them reproducing - just need an incubator - and I know you have one! They grow fast - they are ready to process at 6 weeks and the females also start laying at 6 weeks. So they are a two-fer….eggs and meat. Plus, processing is fast and easy. I can process a quail in just a couple of minutes. Not kidding!

Just an idea for you if you want a change!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good to see you back for a minute. You don't have any problems keeping busy!

I have really enjoyed the times when I've raised quail. If you get out of rabbits - you'll have the cages so it would be an easy switch over if you decided to give it a try. I've never had a problem with them reproducing - just need an incubator - and I know you have one! They grow fast - they are ready to process at 6 weeks and the females also start laying at 6 weeks. So they are a two-fer….eggs and meat. Plus, processing is fast and easy. I can process a quail in just a couple of minutes. Not kidding!

Just an idea for you if you want a change!

And you can keep them in rabbit cages? do they tolerate cold?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I kept mine in cages with 1 x 2 mesh or on the sides and smaller on the bottom - like hardware cloth or anything similar. Mine were under a shed - but not closed in a building - just blocking the north wind. When it would get really cold - I'd just stuff some hay in their cages, or sometimes a cardboard box laid on it's side to block the wind coming up under them and they did fine.

The babies are tiny when they hatch so they need to be kept in a brooder until they are too big to get through the wire...but that only takes a few weeks. To have them lay really good they need a high protein non-medicated feed - like game bird feed. And babies need a non-medicated game bird starter.

Lots of info out there - here's a start: https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/poultry-101/coturnix-quail-farming-tips/

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
eventually i would like to have some kind of feathered friends and would prefer those who can survive our area/climate and have often thought of quail. so thank you for that information and for sure if it ever happens i'll be talking about it. :)

there used to be bob-whites around but i've not seen those in years.

we do have a feral population of pheasants around and they are always welcome. now that i'm putting up more fencing though they won't be in the yard as much.

and of course the wild turkeys. those are well represented in this area.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well we lost a bunch of chickens. daughter forgot to lock them up the other night. the ones we have left are beat up. what are ya gonna do? kids make mistakes. I can always hatch more chickens I guess