A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welp things asre finally slowing down. almost back to normal!

I borrowed a buck today from a friend and he fell off one of my does 4 times. gonna rebreed them tomorrow and then the other doe after that. hopefully I can get them back to the swing of things! I know if I just get them to drop a litter they will get back on track!

not much else going on. my 12 chickens are working the garden over, the orchard is dormant and in need of pruning, and its time to pull out the finished compost and put it in the raised beds but I gotta wait til the chickens are done in the garden.

we went deer hunting a couple weeks ago. got 2 does. going today or a buck. hopefully the freezer will be full come spring.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you process your own deer or take them somewhere? Hope you get the freezer full. Bunnies on the way! Hope you get the does producing again.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad work has slowed some for you. I know how frustrating it is during our "busy" season -- and it isn't as long as yours, or outside in the extreme heat.

Woohoo -- 2 does. Good eating!

Glad you remembered us. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you process your own deer or take them somewhere? Hope you get the freezer full. Bunnies on the way! Hope you get the does producing again.
l have them processed. we went for a buck today and left empty handed. hopefully we will have better luck after the holidays.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow I can't believe it's been 3 years. I haven't accomplished nearly what I had planned. working full time and raising kids eats up alot of time and money!

anyway we haven't done much. just planted onions and garlic in our raised beds. pruned the trees. and the rabbits are bred. they are actually due now. we will see if they took or not. God I hope so! we need them out of this slump. I'll post pics if they kindle.

right now we are in the planning stages of the garden....again! still have a bunch of corn in the freezer so I'll probably not plant it this year. I would like more potatoes this year tho. other than that the only things im sure of are carrots (love canned carrots!), cucumbers, okra and peppers. and then like always ill follow up with black eyed peas after harvest.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh shoot I forgot the most important development. a good friend moved in down the road and started his own homestead! he started out with some chickens I gave him last year and now he has a huge garden plowed and a larger orchard planted. he also has a greenhouse!

it's been alot of fun helping him get started and has actually made me more happy about what we have accomished.....maybe I can get him to grow some starts for me in the green house

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd love to have most anyone who has a home garden anywhere near me. I'm ready to stop & intro self at the only place I see with a garden, in my neighborhood. It's pretty unreal that I live where I do and almost all neighbors do very little in the way of farm animals & gardens. A couple pens of a chicken or two is about it. :idunno

Have a good friend with a backyard garden but, we live 20 miles apart. Mostly in that area when we are at work. Not a "have coffee and talk plants" visit easily. Just more fun when a closer neighbor and you can check out the others plants & produce! At least for me.

BUT -- you have a wife & kids to chatter with you! :celebrate