A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the meat birds are not quite ready for pasture yet. soon hopefully! they need to be on grass
20201009_195723.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I debone, pre cook to shrink the meat, pack in hot jars, fill with broth and process at 10 pounds for 90 minutes. I boil the bones, pick off that meat, usually get a couple of jars, can that too. I can the broth, it’s good to cook with or just a hot cup of broth when feeling sickly.

How are you doing health wise? Just checking on you!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For my late summer/fall current batch of CCX, I parked the chicken tractor close to an outside electric plug and brooded the chicks in it. Sure was easier. I had to bank dirt all around it to keep the danged snakes out. Mine will be ready for slaughter in a couple more weeks. With BJ having hip replacement surgery on the 14th, it will be a challenge to slaughter 28 birds. A neighbor has offered to help, I’ll tske him up on it. I just taught him how to do old layer hens of mine ( gave meat to him and his wife) and 5 CCX he raised, I gave him chicks.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you got your work cut out for ya that's for sure.

I'm doing ok. haven't had any problems besides some wieght gain. that's to be expected with the way i was eating during all of those night classes.

I've been stuck on career issues lately. fighting the urge to chase the dollar and be a workaholic. this new recession and upcoming possible hardships has me worried...and maybe my ambitions are getting the best of me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
today we plan on canning chicken. got any tips? with or without water? does it matter?
Different strokes for different folks, lol.

I raw pack on the bone without water. The chicken will make it's own juice. I wanted to can some chicken soup a week or so ago and spent two days deboning. NEVER AGAIN! Canned on the bone is so much faster and easier and when you open it the meat just falls off the bone anyway. AND, the bones get soft so they can go to the dogs with out any worry of them choking.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Workaholic and heart attack don’t generally gee-haw. How long are you planning on living? Hope it’s a long time. The economy, being able to pay bills is worrisome. Don’t let it literally worry you to death.

less than 40 and I have heart disease. I'm not sure. I just need at least 12 more years to get these kids raised.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just need at least 12 more years to get these kids raised.
Hopefully you've got a lot more time than that! My FIL had serious heart disease all his life and lived to be 80. There are a lot of meds, procedures and therapies the medical professionals can offer you. Let the professionals do their part and you do your part and hopefully you'll be solid for a long, long time!