A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finally got the carots canned. not as much as i would have liked so i planted 2 beds of them. hopefully they come up soon.
they never seem to want to sprout.
20220623_065813.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
finally got the carots canned. not as much as i would have liked so i planted 2 beds of them. hopefully they come up soon.
they never seem to want to sprout.View attachment 19297
I know it's expensive but if you have some 1x6's. Sow your seeds and place the 1x6's over top the sowed row and remove after about 10 days. Carrots send down their tap root first before the tops emerge. The 1x6's suppresses the weeds and gives the carrots a fighting chance to come up without weeds competing for sunshine. This is a old southern garden hack.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1x6's over top the sowed row and remove after about 10 days. Carrots send down their tap root first before the tops emerge. The 1x6's suppresses the weeds and gives the carrots a fighting chance to come up without weeds competing for sunshine. This is a old southern garden hack.
Gramma taught me this 50 years ago..she painted the boards with white oil Paint? she would touch up her metal cabinets with same paint..I kid you not..I use the SAME boards! I'll post I pic of one when I go out to do animals. Only thing is they are HEAVY! .not the wimpy boards we pay for nowadays*

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keeping carrot seeds evenly moist is very tough when it gets this hot. i've heard of burlap being used but i've never done it myself. we have soil that's so wrong for carrots that we've hardly even tried to grow them and that's aside from the many critters always looking for easy meals.

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keeping carrot seeds evenly moist is very tough when it gets this hot. i've heard of burlap being used but i've never done it myself. we have soil that's so wrong for carrots that we've hardly even tried to grow them and that's aside from the many critters always looking for easy meals.
I too had issues until I purchased the tubes of sand that go on sale AFTER winter..first year I opened them up Down the middle then made a trench filled with light soil mix and planted right in the tube..end to end..laid boards on top .I planted a short variety. Not the beautiful long roots you see, but got to work with what you got. Worked really well so..then the next year I simply dumped that sand and more sale tubes..into a designated spot..only change is I plant one year..leaving 2 ft rows in which I plant a repellant plant..next year I simply move over each row one ft. And plant a different companion. I also try to plant a different crop in the space..so beets early then a quick radish crop..then my carrots in the fall

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
didnt do much today but for some reason i feal accomplished. i watered the garden, fed some melons to the animals and planted a few 8 week old cockerals in the garden.

but some of my zucchini is up. maybe if i keep it watered ill get some more this year. the bugs killed all the squash plants and it turns out my pig loves it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
didnt do much today but for some reason i feal accomplished. i watered the garden, fed some melons to the animals and planted a few 8 week old cockerals in the garden.

but some of my zucchini is up. maybe if i keep it watered ill get some more this year. the bugs killed all the squash plants and it turns out my pig loves it.
Too hot to do much of anything 🥵

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸