1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help this member, He is in the Kitchen! - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

A Wedding, a New House, and a Farm

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by SustainableAg, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Jan 10, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

That's awesome!

SustainableAg likes this.
  2. Jan 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM
    SustainableAg

SustainableAg Lovin' The Homestead

I received news today that the sellers have agreed to close on January 25th! Woohoo! Now I have to go out and get cleaning supplies. We plan to clean 25, 26, 27, and have our new furniture delivered on the 28th. Then our storage PODS will be scheduled for later that week. We will soon be very busy! My family hasn't seen the house yet, aside from in pictures. Mr. M's mom and stepdad came with us prior to purchasing, as step-FIL is a general contractor. My family will probably come up one of the weekend days to see it while we clean.

sumi likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2019 at 11:52 PM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Hand 'em a bucket and a mop while they're there! :)

Mini Horses and SustainableAg like this.
  4. Jan 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

X2 this! Exiting days ahead for you guys, moving into your new home. Can't wait to see pics! ;)

5. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:53 AM
    SustainableAg

If the family comes while I'm in the middle of something, they are getting put to work! I like the way you think FEM. I can't wait to get some pictures for everyone. I will attach an aerial view of the property. There is an easement in the back pasture for the neighbor farmer to access his fields on either side. He is also the neighbor that currently hays the property. The front pasture (the current hay field) has full southern exposure. Would hate to lose the hay feature...but we have many garden and animal projects that would make haying the area difficult. This will take some careful planning.
    20190112_204248.jpg 20190112_203807.jpg 20190112_204408.jpg 20190112_204102.jpg

sumi likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2019 at 2:05 AM
    SustainableAg

I am having the most difficult time deciding where to put everything! The back pasture against the tree line is spoken for - hubby and his projects. I will have some of the back pasture before the easement, and the entire front pasture to play with. As a horse person, I hate the thought of losing any of that beautiful pasture! It will be broken up into veggie garden, fruit garden, orchard, chickens, and fenced pasture for a horse or two. We have 18 acres total. Approximately 10 acres in the front pasture, and 8 acres in the back.
    My initial thoughts include a small shack of some sort along the main road. I would use this for (eventually) selling veggies, fruits and flower arrangements based on the honor system until we can establish a steady customer base.

7. Jan 13, 2019 at 2:44 AM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I've been in my place over 30 years and I STILL haven't decided where to put everything. I'm constantly changing things and experimenting.... Never take my advice, lol!