A Year's Worth...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hee hee hee....

Prepare for the zombies and you will be prepared for most other things too.
Zombieland-Jesse-Woody_l.jpg

zombieland-movie-image-emma-stone.jpg

zombieland_rule1_cardio.jpg

zombieland-rule-4.jpg

zombieland-rule-8.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a full year

no I wouldn't be stocking anything for that long.....for me about 6 mos. is enough. room for storage is my problem...ugh

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I have a small house and a small lot, but I do have a shed, a garage, and a lot of my furniture has storage space inside of it. Do you know how much dried food you can cram in a wicker trunk that is being used as an end table? LOL

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
:pop Wait. Why are we saving stuff to last a full year? Did I miss something? I have a nice stash full o' stuff for emergencies but a whole year?
For when you lose your job.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have actually been following the advice: Store what you eat, and eat what you store. My food budget is almost nothing, maybe $35 the past month, including canning squash and sweet potatoes and dehydrating some fresh veggies. I store on the main about three to four times what I consume in a month, but I do eat rather light most days.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do the store what you eat method as well. But I also add in the emergency supplies. Lanterns, candles, meds, first aid, water filtration as well as sprouting and garden seeds.

I really would like to have more basic hand tools as well as some fire arms . I just have never learned to use one. Not something most do around here.

At least that I know of. :hide

gina

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I have to be a little more creative with my emergency food stores. If it looks too much like easy to eat food, hubby and son will EAT IT ALL!!! I have had my stash wiped out a couple of times by the ravaging horde :somad

So now I store stuff I don't normally eat but could easily live on if I had to. Beans and lentils, steel cut oats, spam, etc... If you disguise food as "ingredients" the guys wont touch it. :plbb

They also have an added incentive to make sure I am healthy and well cared for. Without me they would starve to death staring at a bag navy beans wondering what they were supposed to do with them to turn them in to food :gig

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ZOMBIES you say!?? Oh, they are here...as a matter of fact, I have one for a neighbor! ( honestly, you should see this man) Thankfully...my neighbor is about 1/4 mile away! ;)
Wife...I SO get it about them starving to death, looking at a bag of beans! I have been makeing those " gifts in a jar" and putting the instruction ON the jar..they hold up great in the pantry..and are a meal in a jar. LOVE IT! This way...I dont have to store the bags of beans..or just jars of beans. I make the 6 bean country soup mix...and have enough for 5 meals. :drool