A Year's Worth...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oooh! Good idea! Got the recipe??

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is great for people who don't do very well with budgeting, or for numerous other reasons. If you buy things in advance, then get an "unexpected" bill in your account (medical bill, whatever), you can use some of your store that month. Plus, this allows you to buy items on sale and save money in the long run. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
So now I store stuff I don't normally eat but could easily live on if I had to. Beans and lentils, steel cut oats, spam, etc... If you disguise food as "ingredients" the guys wont touch it. :plbb
Spam! If as much as one can of Spam is anywhere in the house DH will find it. It defines his idea of Haute Cuisine, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, and birthday meal. To store it successfully I'd have to spray paint the can to disguise it and put it in my crafts bin.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Spam is considered almost a delicacy in Hawaii, Korea, and the Pacific Islands. It's pretty good browned in a skillet.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"To store it successfully I'd have to spray paint the can to disguise it and put it in my crafts bin."
LOLOL

I have the same problem with beef jerky. I would have to hide them in box of feminine products to keep the guys from finding it and eating it...LOL

Fortunately Max (my son) has never had spam. He doesn't know how delicious it is all browned up :D Hubby knows but has been threatened with death if I catch him digging in the stash again!

This is great for people who don't do very well with budgeting, or for numerous other reasons. If you buy things in advance, then get an "unexpected" bill in your account (medical bill, whatever), you can use some of your store that month. Plus, this allows you to buy items on sale and save money in the long run.
With us it is usually an unexpected car repair or an appliance blow up :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spam! ACK! :sick

Now, corned beef on the other hand, with some taters (yeah, I know!) and onions :D

I started storing ingredients thanks to that tip WZ. Couldn't figure out why all my storage was disappearing, now I know :lol:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Year's Worth Check List

Bathroom
[ ] Shampoo
[ ] Razors
[ ] Shaving Cream
[ ] Soap
[ ] Wash rags
[ ] Towels
[ ] Lotion
[ ] Deodorant
[ ] Feminine hygiene products
[ ] TP
[ ] Toothbrush
[ ] Tooth paste
[ ] Mouthwash

Medicine Cabinet
[ ] Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer
[ ] Antihistamine
[ ] Epsom Salts
[ ] Peroxide
[ ] Alcohol
[ ] Antibacterial Ointment
[ ] Bandaids
[ ] Elastic Bandages
[ ] Cold Medicine

Clothes Closet
[ ] T-shirts
[ ] Sweaters
[ ] Jeans
[ ] Shorts
[ ] Socks
[ ] Underwear
[ ] Jackets
[ ] Shoes
[ ] Boots

More to come. Please add your items and I will revise the list...

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am leaning strongly to storing what may soon be defined as "eligible medical supplies or devices". Toothbrushes, feminine products, salves, ointments, lotions, creams, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and on and on. Baby creams, A&D ointment, that kind of thing. If you notice them becoming scarce, consider stocking up.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I used to get Sulfa powder for my dogs from the vet and couldn't believe how effective it was for wounds. I always thought that I'd stock that along with Neosporin.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Although I know this topic was meant to be serious, I found myself seriously laughing at some of the posts! Great ideas, and I love the sarcasm!!! As I read some of them out loud to DH, about storing beef jerky and Spam, he laughed and asked "Is there anything on the shelf?" ROFL

As for the phonebook....um, my town is so small that its not even an inch thick, and maybe 10 pages is numbers, the other 20 are advertisements! Sorry, not doing the phone book! Not to mention paper cuts and scrapes, which could get infected, ew. I'm sure it would do in a pinch, for a wipe or 2, but not for a year! At least, not for me! :p

Since I travel, and am trying to sell my home, I cannot feasibly store things. However, I am gathering things for my future homestead! :D