Adding new chickens to our flock

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@MoonShadows Offer to pay half the bill in cash and them mark it paid in full. Or you will send them $10 a month until you pay it off. Point out that the accounting of posting the payment, insist on a paper bill sent to you EVERY month, it will eat them up in admin costs. And be NICE. Kill 'em with kindness. We get DH's hospital bills with what the charges are, what medicare paid and what his supplement paid, balance zero. There is a HUGE gap in what the charges are and what they actually get paid.

@waretrop I am glad that none of your chickens were hurt. Now your husband gets to build it back!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know someone who went to the medical billing and threw a big fit over the price he was being charged. They dropped it in half, he paid it grudgingly and that was the end of it.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check is already in the mail. Sorry to say, but I just can't fight these giants anymore. I'm too tired.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At least you can stop wasting your time thinking about it waiting on you to pay.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went out this morning as I always do right after first light to give my chickens fresh water and their morning treat...and to collect eggs (most of my chickens lay real early). When I collected the eggs, I found the largest egg I have ever seen (for a chicken!). It is from our 1 Black Jersey Giants. Her eggs have been huge lately and the last few I cracked had 2 yolks, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one has 3 yolks.

Here it is in the middle of normal eggs
007 - March 28.jpg

It will have to go in a bowl!
008-Mar 28.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a big ol' egg! In all the years I've had chickens I've had lots of double yolks - but only 1 triple yolk. It was from a meat chicken that we never butchered - she turned into an excellent layer of great big eggs.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard Jersey Giants are pretty good layers. Wow, what an egg! They are suppose to be very docile too and being so big it's hard for raptors to fly away with them. I've heard the roosters make good flock roosters being gentle with the girls. I thought about getting a JG rooster for my girls to introduce some size. On the downsize it takes a couple of years to reach full size. A lot of good qualities.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This JG is a monster...more than twice the size of the 25 week old ones.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I once had a JG rooster and a mixed flock of hens but someone came and stole the entire flock while we slept. Since then I lock my birds up at night. My rooster was at least twice the size of all the girls. He was as tall (maybe taller) as my 3 and 4 year old daughters back then, lol.

Latest posts