Adding new chickens to our flock

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW --- that's just toooo much snow and crap for me! We got the moisture (ok, rain but, I felt bad saying that with what you have). We did get a little over 2" & expect another 1 or 2" late tonight.

Like Bay says, 2-3" and we are down hard, so far as a functioning city/community. Not usual for us to get what you have there -- maybe once every 20 yrs -- so totally unprepared for such heavy snowstorms. Not saying that you all can begin to enjoy it but, the towns/people all find a foot pretty "puny". LOL We find it unbearable. But, that snow seems very wet, thus very heavy.

Sorry about the tarp & all that. Love the "2 feet" picture.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have lived at various times with no air conditioning. Not a lot of fun, but it didn't kill me. At night, spray mist the top bedsheet with water, turn a fan on and the evaporation of the water will keep you cool. At least I don't have to shovel sunshine. :idunno

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness and here I complained because I had to pay €500 for surgery at a private hospital… (No insurance). I'm now getting practically free health care, €75 "admin fee" basically for surgeries and only pay when I see my GP and for medicine, but before y'all beat me up too bad, we are getting KILLED with car insurance over here. I had to pay more than my last car was worth for one year 3rd party, fire and theft cover only.

@MoonShadows @waretrop feel free to send some of that snow this way. We had about 5 minutes of it last night. Mostly gone by this morning when I got up.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went out this morning as I always do right after first light to give my chickens fresh water and their morning treat...and to collect eggs (most of my chickens lay real early). When I collected the eggs, I found the largest egg I have ever seen (for a chicken!). It is from our 1 Black Jersey Giants. Her eggs have been huge lately and the last few I cracked had 2 yolks, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one has 3 yolks.

Here it is in the middle of normal eggs
007 - March 28.jpg

It will have to go in a bowl!
008-Mar 28.jpg

Annabellam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love the coop i think they are going to love it. Awesome thing that you can use the area around to grow something. Proud of you. Keep sharing photos.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is a lovely coop and sounds like a good plan! Keep us posted.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My chickens never cut back on laying...Of course, having allot I may not notice if someone stops for a while. The thing we do that others don't is, we extend the light before the days get shorter rather than after the days are already shorter. That seems to keep them in laying mode rather than trying to get them started again....

Yes, I saw you and told my hubby to hit the horn but we had already passed you. He had no idea why I had him hank till afterward. We laughed about it....I go by at least every other day. I like that drive. I deliver to people just short of you so I incorporate the delivery with my personal errands.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have a chicken living in your kitchen? LOL I would like to come to your garden tour in June, and you better stop one day when the weather is nicer.