Adding new chickens to our flock

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I should have about 90 but when I get babies in and grow them up it fluctuates. And then get rid of the old ones... Ninety if the magic number....lol

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan.

I would love to expand our planting and open a farm stand out of and around that old stone garage you see in front of the small beige rental house on our property where we could sell produce and our jar products (Running Valley gets a lot of traffic), but our home business and regular chores keep me so busy and tired at the end of the day, it remains a dream. Besides, I would probably run into problems with Hamilton Township. And, switching gears like that after 60 would mean a drop in income from the home biz while we do more planting and build the farm stand up, but who knows, perhaps I might find a happy medium some day.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@waretrop now that is the Taj Mahal of chicken coops! I only have 5 pullets now but am planning on ordering around 50 soon. I love the waterer and feeder. Do you feed Ferment Feed? It probably would need an open trench type thinking on it. Chickens probably is the easiest of livestock to manage. I do want some rabbits in the near future.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Brought home the new hens today....8 - 22 week old Red Sex Links. They are in the temporary run with temporary coop while they, and my old hens, get used to each other.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the new flock additions! They are fantastic layers….

I'm looking to move house soon and keeping my chickens is up to fate and what my future landlord says. I don't have a house lined up yet, but I'm hoping I'd be able to take at least some of the birds with.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes @Mini Horses it is PVC. It sits about 3 inches from the bottom of the barrel so when the 300 pounds of food drops down to the bottom of the barrel and the chickens stick their head in to get the food. They took to it in a minute. I showed about 5 how to get the food and the rest followed right along...There is NO lost or scattered food.

I have 3 sets of next boxes totaling about 50 nests. They took to them immediately. They do have favorite ones and sometimes I find 10 eggs in one box...I don't care as long as I get my 100 eggs a day.....they are very good to me.

So I just went out and cleaned all the nest boxes, the floor, used lime in the nests and on the floor then spread pine chips. Also put lime in their outside area. Hauled the chips to our big trailer and hauled it away to the neighbor farm field. The whole thing took 1 hour and 45 minutes from very beginning to finish. I did it alone for the first time in a long time. Usually my hubby helps with the heavy duty work.

@MoonShadows We are going to get very cold tonight. You are right. This is the kind of night I will have to cover the spouts with plastic. During the day the chickens drink enough to keep if unfrozen.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
100 a DAY ? :ep You must have a lot of customers.... I keep steady buyers for 10 doz a week, few occassionals, freebies to family & some friends. Only get 1/2 what you do per day -- except when pullets start.

Moon, sure they DID enjoy a break. I hope you served them drinks by the pool.

This morning an older couple was buying 7 new RIR chicks to grow out to replace their 6 OLD RIRs at home. They felt their laying was over but, at 4 y/o its ok & they love them anyway.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows I always clean the hen house just before adding new people....It keeps the old ones delightfully happy till the new ones can get their bearings.....

If I do anything I would like to make a business of "specialized" gingerbread houses for the individual and for the holiday. Hand delivered, of course. I can't handle anymore than I am doing right now. The gingerbread house has been on the back burner for years...