Adding new chickens to our flock

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My black sex links (RIR rooster/BR hen) was predator savey. I let them free range from about 8 weeks on. The only thing that ever got them was our son's dogs that someone had dumped out on our road.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I first let my new ones, or newly relocated, out I do so just an hr or so before coop time. They don't go so far and returning is easier for them....especially if you've been throwing treats! Just chuck a few into the run and they follow. Then just increase the time as they get enough practice at returning.

I'm sure you have done this before....:lol: probably the same way.

They are lovely hens, by the way. If the old gals are still laying at all, you're lucky. I believe you said they were 3 or 4?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are 3+. That's a good idea...limited free ranging. Maybe I'll start by letting them out close to coop time and just increase a bit every day. I also think they will follow the older gals in the beginning to get the lay of the land.

Amazing how food brings them back...although, my older ones come back when they hear me call out "Mama's here." I've been saying that to them since day 1. I'm Mama! :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@MoonShadows when I got new birds and started free ranging them I waited until about an hour before roost time before letting them out and then got them back with the feed bucket. Did this for a day or two and then let them range all day. They won't wander too far for the first day or two and your older girls should show them the way home anyway.

@lcertuche maybe your neighbours found a place to take surplus or unwanted roosters? Either way, it sounds like a good way to get some free meat for canning ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH used to install Generacs. He'll tell you it's the absolute best thing to do, they're fantastic generators. And he says that's a good price! Someday we'll do the same.

We are on the line between 6-12" and 10-20". Should be interesting. I thought this was over. It's been below zero windchill all weekend too.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH used to install Generacs. He'll tell you it's the absolute best thing to do, they're fantastic generators. And he says that's a good price! Someday we'll do the same.

We are on the line between 6-12" and 10-20". Should be interesting. I thought this was over. It's been below zero windchill all weekend too.

Our electrician said they are the best, too.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because the sick migratory birds flying over and dropping their feces where healthy birds are will infect the healthy ones. Spreading lime in that area and 2 feet on the outside of the pens will 'help' kill the infected feces. There is not a big threat of avian virus at the moment but I would rather pay it safe than loose my birds...If you ever test positive they come in and put down all poultry. I don't practice everything that the bird people recommend but I do these simple things. I watch where it is found in the summer, only becomes a threat when migratory birds move, and do more intense things before they fly over Pa.

The tarp is not needed in winter but we have learned the chickens like their ground covered a little. We just use up that tarp as it doesn't last more than a year and we have to wreck it just taking it off. There is no saving it once we put it on.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, thanks for that info. I didn't get the tarp up today...just ran out of time. I did get the poop board cleaned and put in another bale of pine shavings so they can make deep sitting areas which they like to do. Looks like I'll be shoveling the run every few hours during the storm.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An old shower curtain would work.

We are missing the snow, thankfully!! But, have rain now and with temps to go to upper 20s with heavy wind, may get some winter mix. Don't expect much but, they say 1.5" rain. It is needed, actually, as we've had very little of late. HOWEVER we could have a nice rain without these danged cold temps!!

I may never get a garden in. It's been at least 10 degrees below our daytime norm for a week plus wind chills, way more than that below norm at night.....after a highest on record February... 28 this AM & yesterday, too. Mid March and I had ice in the troughs.