Aidenbaby's Anti-Suburban Sprawl

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes the Starbucks coffee grounds are useful. Just don't OD on them! LOL Plan to use them right away though (you can use them as a light mulch too). So only get as much as you can use in the span of a week or so.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome, and thanks for the red worm info. I guess my problem is I usually forget to feed my worms at all.

Not sure if you have ever heard of the Dervaes Family but they have a great urban spread. Here in Ca. You should check out their site.
http://pathtofreedom.com/about/

We all fail at some things, it's what we succeed at that makes the difference!!! :D

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have most definitely heard of them. It is amazing how much food they produce on their lot. I believe they even have goats for milking, too. I wish I could get away with goats. Maybe, further down the road, I'll wink-wink at my neighbors (ok, and my hubby too) and test if they'll put up with goats too. The goats would also have to be "under cover" in the goat protection program.

I have one of those neighborhood nazis across the street. I'm sure you guys know that type. It's the one with the perfectly trimmed front yard that is sure to point out everyone else's faults. Their house was on the market right at the start of the crash. I had SO hoped they would have sold it but they were asking WAY too much for it.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Aiden...sounds like you have a wonderfull plan to feed your family..CONGRATS! Hey, dont worry about the mistakes..they are "learning tools" We all have to learn somehow.
I feel bad that you have a nosey neighbor like that. Hey, maybe they can still sell...SOON! OR, you can buy out in the country..where you can have ALL you want! ;)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish we had the money to move further into the country. I found a great property that is 36.5 acres for $144,000. Here in Colorado, this is a good deal. (sigh) Something to strive for, right? I have been :drool over some properties I've seen in Kentucky. I just don't think hubby's job could transfer him there. :hit

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, they were talking about that over on BYC. I think someone said that they weren't interested in selling the site name or something like that. You know how the rumor factory goes.

ETA: I'm going to join my friends on a hunting trip later this year. I want to see what it is all about and gauge whether or not I can / will do it. I think I now have the right mindset about it. It would be providing my family with food. I don't know if I'd ever have heads on my wall though... we'll see.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Interesting note... Type in backyardgoats.com and you get taken to Path to Freedom. Ironic?
Huh, that is funny!! It's amazing to me how much that family can do. I think the key word there is "family". It's a group effort. Grandma always said "many hands make light work". :D

I would love to live in Co. It was my dream to acquire some acreage out that way. Then my dh started talking about Missouri because he has an Aunt and cousins there. I really don't think we are going anywhere any time soon though. So I am doing everything I can right where I am.

Aiden, do you involve your day care kids in the gardens??? My dd preschool is trying to get some raised beds incorporated into the playground. I think I may have to take charge of this one. Right now the teachers usually plant in post and such on their patios. The kids just love it and its just so important a lesson.

Anyways, keep us in the loop and good luck with the neighbor.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stats
Name: Kelle
Birthday: June 7, 1978
Astrological Sign: Gemini
Weight: None ya' business
Height: 5' 6"
Would you rather be short or tall: Tall
Eye Color: Green
Glasses or Contacts: Nope
Natural Hair Color: Brown
Current Hair Color: Brown
Hometown: Dallas is where I was born. I am an Air Force Brat.
Any siblings: I have 2 sisters and a brother. Technically, I have a half brother and 2 step-sisters
Current Residence: Lochbuie, CO
Do you have an accent: Occassionally, when I've had too much to drink or I've been around people from the south. I pick up accents easily.

Romantic Side
Relationship Status: Married
Living Arrangement: We live together.
Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends: Have you lost your mind?
Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads: Blondes
Have you ever been in love: Yes, sometimes even with my Hubby. :hu :love
What's your "type": The muscular type with no brains. I didn't marry this.
Did you ever cry over a guy/girl: Of course, my kids make me cry all the time. :lol:
Who do you admire the most: Any mother that has energy at the end of the day.

Controversial
Political Views: I lean towards liberal. Please, everyone put your guns down. No need to shoot!
Religious Views: I have them and they are between me and God.
Do you believe in God: Yes

Abilities
Can you swim: Yes
Do you like to swim: Yes
Do you prefer pools or oceans: Pools, no critters.

Senses
Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Smell: Clean
Least Favorite Smell: other people's kids dirty diapers
Favorite Sound: my kids laughing
Favorite Foods: Italian
Chocolate or vanilla: Chocolate
Do you drink: On occasion
Favorite drink: Smirnoff Ice
Do you eat the stems of broccoli: Yes
Favorite Music: Country
Do you organize your CD's: no
What are your favorite bands/artists: Any female country artist
What was the last CD you got: Your guess is as good as mine.
What was the last movie you saw: Brother Bear 2
What movies have you cried in: Schindler's List, Taking Chance
Do you enjoy reading: Yes
Favorite Books: Anything by Koontz or King
What book are you reading now: Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke

Favorites
Favorite Gum: Don't have one
Favorite Board Game: Monopoly
Favorite Magazine: Don't really have one.
Favorite Sport: Hockey
Favorite Number: I usually go with my age; otherwise, I don't have one.
Whos better - boys or girls: Well,let's just put it this way. God made man and then perfected man into woman.
Pen or Pencil: Pen
Disneyworld or Disneyland: Disneyworld. Can I just live there?
Favorite Disney character: Mulan
Favorite Sesame Street character: Abby Cadabby
Favorite TV Shows: NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist, Numb3rs, Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Criminal Minds
Favorite Movies: Drama or Family
Favorite Actor: Don't have one.
Favorite Actress: Don't have one.

Bad Habits
Do you smoke: No
What do you think of people who smoke: I don't think anything of them. It is a nasty habit to start and end.
Do you bite your nails: Yes, when I need to.
Do you procrastinate: well... uh... maybe... ok, yes.
Do you do drugs: Not recently (pot a few years ago).
Have you ever stolen anything: Yes, when I was a stupid teen. My girlfriend and I stole 2 grocery bags full of those Jack-In-The-Box heads from cars.
Do you like to drive fast: Yes

Miscellaneous
What is on your mouse pad: I don't have one
Would you like to own a motorcycle: Yes
What is the first think you think of when you wake up in the morning: Damn, I need a new alarm tone. Mine is that irritating grating sound. It gets me out of bed and that is what matters.
Do you sing in the shower: Doesn't everyone?
How many rings before you answer the phone: As soon as I get there or the machine gets it.
How do you want to die: Quickly but when my kids are older and I have grandbabies.
Have you ever called a 900 number: No
Gold or Silver: Silver
Would you ever go bungee-jumping: Maybe. I have to make sure that it is completely safe. After all, I have kids that need their mama.
Do you like dressing up: Yes
Do you sleep with a stuffed animal: Not any more... I have a hubby now.
What's your biggest fear: That I will die when my kids are young.
Would you ever have cosmetic surgery: Yes, suck here. Nip there. Pick those up.
Future child's name: Logan Dale or Evelyn Eleanor. I have an Aiden Mitchell William and a Lillian (Lily) Elizabeth (3rd Elizabeth in a row)
Storms - cool or scary: Sometimes cool, sometimes scary
Do you like to dance: Yes
Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other: Yes
If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be: Honestly, I really, truly don't know anymore. I want to stay home with my kids, have a self-sufficient farm and some income so hubby doesn't have to work outside the home either.
Do you believe in fate: Yes
Any pets: Yes. We have a dog, 4 cats and 6 chickens. In the past, we've had fish, a horse, and ferrets.
Good, decent, or poor grades: I guess they were decent.
Is the glass half empty or half full: Sometimes, a little of both. I get depression bouts on occasion.
Do you type with your fingers on the right keys: Yes, I can type by touch. I only have a problem with the numbers but I can ten-key pretty decently.
What's under your bed: Wouldn't you just like to know? :drool :th ;)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am SO irritated with DH. He told me that he was going to help me with the fencing, change the oil on the rototiller (that he said he would do a month ago) and fix the screen on the sliding back door. He now says he can't do the rototiller because he needs a socket set that we don't have. I tell him, "why don't you ask our neighbor next door to borrow his?" His response was to walk away from the rototiller and start working on the screen for the back door. :he :rant :somad Is it really THAT hard to ask someone to borrow their tools? REALLY? I found it pretty easy when I asked the same neighbor to borrow a pair of wire cutters in exchange for them borrowing our dethatching rake. While I appreciate that hubby is at least making a hlf-hearted effort to help, I don't think he has realized yet that we don't have enough of that stripping stuff that holds the screen to the frame. As soon as he realizes that I won't get him to do anything for the rest of the weekend. Please, GOD, give me the patience to not fight with him over more broken promises this weekend. :fl I love my husband but this is starting to get absurd as most projects he starts don't even get halfway done. :hit