AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to get my calendar down and pencil in "Sleep" for at least one day this week!!
Last night I worked out in the gym, got home to tend the animals, slept for 4 hours and was up at 530 getting the animals set for the day and heading out to the Naval Air Station for my nephew's 18-hole golf tournament.
I have never watched or played "real" golf. I am a terror on the putt putt greens and at goofy golf they used to know my name. But "real" golf? **Yawn** I don't get it. But for my nephew, I'd try.

So we got there at 7am so he could go to the player's breakfast, my sister and I rented a cart and loaded up our ice chest with waters. At 8 Jrod found out what course he was playing (they have 3) and what hole he was starting on (since there were so many evidently everybody started somewhere besides 1??). We rode over to his starting spot and waited. And Waited. And. Waited.

Finally they players were released to go to their spots.... and wait... I didn't mind though because I had my trusty camera.

WRONG.... my zoom lens is broken and I knew it and forgot to buy a new one!! ACK!! :rant

When the signal came they started playing. It was a beautiful day - high 80's temp, relatively ok humidity, good breezes coming off the bay and the Gulf, lots of shade from huge, twisted oak trees shrouded in Spanish Moss. My sister and I rode from shady spot to shady spot. I think she thought that little golf cart was a NASCAR tester though because she floored it . No matter if we were on the paved cart path or careening over knotted oak tree roots. Have mercy I think I need a chiropractic adjustment!

I didnt' know much of what was going on in the golf match - they hit the little white ball, walked to it and whacked it again. I don't get it. But I did get that the kid playing against my nephew was having a very bad horrible not good day. He looked like he was maybe a skinny freshman, about 14... my nephew is a 6ft 16yr old Jr. The other kid did ok, not good, on the first 9 holes, and then I guess he got tired because I could have subbed for him and nobody would have known by the score. The last 3-4 holes he was really getting down on himself and my nephew pointed some stuff out to him... the kid changed whatever and it helped. He was thrilled.
So was I . Love my good-hearted boys. ANd honest too. There is no coach with the boys as they play... they keep their own scores. The kid thought my nephew got the ball in with less hits than expected (under par? sounds bad to me) and my nephew said no, it was par. The kid said it several times and my nephew just quietly wrote down the true score (I don't think the kid was trying to get him to cheat, he really though Jrod had made it in 3).

They finished up around 1, so I left in a hustle to get to a 2pm appointment. From there I went to the grocery store, then home to pack a lunch, change clothes and head to work until 1am.

So I am exhausted. Completely. Feeling sore and a little headachy from being dehydrated and hot. I'll skip the gym tonight but then duty calls.... I have to pick up my 13yr old Nephew Tvo at 730am to take him to school, then I am out of layer pellets, rabbit feed / hay and I need to buy that dang cattle panel for the muscadine vines still so I'll go by TSC. I think after I stock up and feed up I will go to bed for a while though. It has already been a long week and I haven't even done anything!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband plays golf... you're right... BORING! I would never think of going with him (even the tournament he played in), so you are a good aunt!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband taught me to golf when we first started dating. It is really like a game for an individual to challenge themselves. then at the end compare scores with the others. It's really an amazing feeling to swing the club with little effort and connect with the ball on the sweet spot. Then you sit back and see the ball soar through the air and land right where you wanted it. Not to mention being out in nature enjoying the quiet at the same time.

wow, I miss golf. But it takes a ton of time and is expensive.

g

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might have had a better time but I was on a golf cart with my sister for 5hrs... kind of an eternity.
Gina - my nephew knocks the snot out of the ball... just barely swinging. He is really good. The poor kid he was playing had to hit 2-3 times to get as far down the fairway as J did on his first tee off.

ETA haha the ad banner at the bottom of my page is for Pebble Beach Golf Resort - if only they knew :lol:

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I walked outside to a very quiet backyard. The big flock of chickens were in their house (and Bo the BR roo with them). The 2 red roos were under their shelter and Pat was in her nesting suite. My eyes automatically went to the sky and it was only a few seconds before I saw a juvenile hawk gliding over my pecan tree - any lower and I could have seen the glint in his eyes. I walked out in the yard with Rio so the big bird would see us outside. A minute or so passed and Bo was shoved out into the chicken yard. He shook his ruff and walked around the pen, then crowed. A few seconds later, Solo, the little roo I can't bring myself to butcher, stumbled out of the chicken house and walked around (he always looks kind of dazed). Finally a couple of the boss hens and Poppy came out, followed by the rest of the big flock. Easy to tell who Poppy thinks is more disposable LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby is a golfer. He loves it. When we go on vacations he always finds a course nearby....well, sometimes...most times we end up not near one or it is too super hot to play LOL

Me, I ride in the golf cart with a beer. I love the golf courses that have beer wagons riding the cart paths. I bring alot of money with me.

Hmm...I like golf too! :) well, not to play but I participate in my own way HAHA

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: golf - the sport with something for everyone

I have to change my journal title so I will stop getting the ads for "Pebble Beach" "Virtual Golf Lesson" etc lol

Just read about a listeria outbreak from cantaloupe grown in Colorado. Sure wish I could get some sort of melon to grow here. Last year I planted 8 watermelon plants and fed them all to my chickens. This year I saw a random vine growing in the side yard, it turned out to be a watermelon. THE very same day I mentioned picking it, I walked out and Skye had eaten it!

I ended up leaving work early last night (monday) because I felt so horrible. It felt like a very large man with very heavy workboots was kicking and stomping me. Even my elbow joints hurt! I slept really restlessly last night and I amr eady for bed tonight. The plan is to go get some more compost moved over to my new little garden bed so I can transplant my bought plants over. So much to do!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HA so I guess it is content of the posts, not the title, that determine the banners - because I have a "no obligation career assessment" offer to find out if golf is the career for me :lol:
It is storming here.. but I thought I would post a few pics of the golf tourney, mostly just because it shows some of the native beauty around here (well, the grass had some help ;) ). It was out at the Naval Air Station and there were fighter jets and trainer bi-planes flying over constantly. The Blue Angels flight demo team is based here and they came over as well. It made me chuckle to see every teenage boy's head turn to follow the jet before they took their turn at the tee.
My nephew assured me he likes my photos fine, "but they would be soo much cooler if there was a jet in the background" of the one of him on the hill. Details Details.

2241_img_6311.jpg

2241_img_6309.jpg

love the huge old oak with Spanish Moss, but we stayed away because my sister is the world's worst about getting redbugs if she is within spitting distance
2241_img_6304.jpg

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had a busy day today. This morning I transplanted my broccoli and cabbage and cleaned out the chicken houses / under the rabbit hutches.
Then it was time for some fun! I loaded up Rio and Rags and took them to Barktoberfest. Every year the Humane Society puts on a "Barktoberfest" at the parks downtown. They have one full park of about 60 vendors ranging from vet clinics (mine was there - YAY), pet stores, rescues, photographers, etc. Several of the main local restaurants line the parks and sell great food. Another park has the demos (flyball, K9, dachsund races) and another has bounce houses for the kids.

I dont' go downtown much. At all, really. Once a year for Barktoberfest, every now and then to the Farmer's Market - but the market is on the main street , just drive straight to it, turn around and drive straight home. So I paid to park thinking it would be closer. It was - to the Ronald McDonald House fire truck pull that was also being held downtown (just down the street from the farmer's market - no produce). I made it even further away by walking the wrong street. We walked about 6 blocks the wrong way, then had to walk a few to get corrected and to the park.

We wandered around a bit and visited my vet Rio adores them - he stood with his chin on the table just wagging wagging his tail and eyeballing the treat dish. He made goo-goo eyes at the tech and she couldn't resist his powers. My friend had her 73lb, 5mth old Great Dane pup there so we spent some time at the Dane rescue tent talking about their meetups at the dog beach. There were tons of people there so hopefully the Humane Society made the bucks... this is their biggest fundraiser every year.
We had a good time, said our goodbyes... and then we had to walk all the way back to the truck. It was a lot shorter when I walked the correct way!!! We were still exhausted when we go to the truck.

Rags still had some pep in the truck - Rio was done for

2241_postbarktoberfest.jpg

He fell asleep sitting up, leaning against the backrest lol.... but check out that smile
2241_riohangove.jpg

After getting home and getting Rio some pain meds for his knees, I headed out to my nephews baseball game. And guess what? It is cold!!!! Well... coool. The low is to be 49* tonight!! Woot!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This cool weather is wonderful, but it has caught me unprepared. I am glad we are supposed to be back in the 60's in the next day or 2.

I still have to build somewhere for Pat to get out of the weather. I need to clean out the dwarf hutch house so they can start going in there again (currently have it blocked off). Bon the big rabbit needs somewhere to get out of the weather. He is under the old meatie shelter so it shouldn't be too windy, but I can imagine some drafts so I need to get that taken care of. The red roos are still getting on top of the fence to roost (even with wing clipped!) so I need to block that off and build them a proper roost inside the shelter with Bon. The big flock should be fine since I left most of the weather proofing up through the summer - I can probably just close the big walk through door, toss some straw on the floor and call them done. Last year I didn't add straw until it got in the 30's but I want the compost ;) .
Skye needs a new water bucket for her warm water and I need to get the feed stall straightened up and closed off since Buddy will be coming home Sunday 10/16. I still haven't found any hay so I'll have to finish organizing the hay room and get an inventory on what I have left over and how much I have to toss because of it being musty.

I need to dig out the sheets to cover my fruit trees in case of frost and get Rags' good bed out of the shed. The old barn cat Elmo disappeared this summer :( but I still have PITA outside. She'll set up house in the hayroom so I'm not too worried about her.

Next week (10/13 - 10/16) I will be camping out at the state forest with Rio and Buddy. I am sooo excited! I need to inventory my camping gear and get my sleeping bag to the laundromat.

Good times!!!