AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We've just had winter really arrive, and you're talking about planting peas and carrots. I'm jealous. :rolleyes:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new horse, and I am jealous also, its 15 degrees out with snow on the ground and your talking about peas and carrots :tongue :p

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
our planting dates for garden peas run 1/15 - 2/15. Last year I was right at Valentine's Day, so this year I want to go just a week or so earlier. Still have to keep straw on hand to cover tender plants in the event of frost through March 15 (according to the almanac).
Carrots also can be started 1/15.
Mustard greens, onions and cabbage also have 1/15 early start dates - but I haven't decided if I am fooling with any of those early.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AWESOME DAYS!!
Yesterday I went with my horse trainer to a town about 2 1/2 hours away and I came back with a horse! He is the sweetest ever! Looks kind of mulish, but I just trail ride so I don't need anything flashy (though he does have some chrome). He is a 12yr old (vet verified) Thoroughbred / QH gelding (he definitely has high TB withers!). They shot guns off him and cracked whips around him and he just cocked his ears around to the sound. The trainer rode him in the pen and then the woods, then I took him for a spin through the pen (the first time I have ridden in at least 8yrs!!). He is a fast walker like my old mare was in her younger days. No head tossing, no spook.
When we got him home he strolled into the little paddock like it was old home week. Settled in with his hay but came when I called him. He was a little nervous in the big stall that has a ceiling fan, but didn't argue with me holding his halter and after a minute stood there quietly on his own. He is fine around the dogs and while he hasn't seen my chickens yet they had gamey looking chickens flying past him to roost in trees and on the barn roof... he was oblivious. No riding today, but tomorrow I am hoping against hope to take him the next town over. They are having a playday and my trainer will be there with a stack of bits for me to look at for him.

In only slightly less exciting news - I tilled the raised bed and planted peas on Wednesday. These are from last year so we'll see if my storage worked or if I am wasting planting space. I also tilled part of the garden lot so I can make new raised beds for new seeds.... want to make sure I get SOME peas!

Amigo -
1857_6.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nice pic --he is pretty

you got a 'dead head'

I love dead heads because they are so safe. you just gotta get him out and ride and find the 'few' quirks.

my spotted saddle horse Peepers was a dead head. perfect trail horse except for crossing roads. for some reason a yellow line in the middle freaked her out LOL
nothing major....she would side step that line up the road a bit and hop over it when I urged her. they see yellow or know yellow or something cause every time it was the same LOL

I am currently looking to buy a new dead head. they are just the best in my book. you got a great horse I think!! :)

oh edited to say how is your mom doing Al. is all fine?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice looking boy.

Too bad those of us who own horses aren't closer together. I think it would be fun to meet up for a camping/trail ride trip.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thats the kind of horse illbe looking for, a "dead head" i mean i dont want a horse thats completly mindless, but one thats just easy going and will pretty much do whatever you ask

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He is perfect for me! He is 15.3hh, a little thin but I can fix that! He is pretty agreeable and when he doesn't want to do something his biggest reaction so far is a swished tail. But don't let him fool you.. he has spunk. He is fast walking, attentive, head up.....just well mannered in his spirit. My old mare was like that when she was younger... no spook in her, but she had lots of get up and go. I am excited to try him out and see what he has for me. I haven't turned him out with the others yet, in fact they are in a side yard with a pasture between them and the new guy. My mare can be kind of a bossy heifer, so intros will be pretty gradual. I think Buddy will get on fine with him.
My folks asked what I was going to do with Buddy. Um... Keep him? That sturdy little horse will make a great cart horse, short distance rides and I want a plow to hook to him!

Gotta go play with my new big fella :D

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! I took him out to an arena today and we tried a couple of different bits on him and he accepted everything we put on him. He happily traveled around the arena and the milling horses / trailers with his long strides. He trailers like a champ and stood patiently trailered while I talked to the trainer. He did get kind of cranky when the trainer was going to swing up on him bareback. He let her ride but didn't want her swinging up on him.
So now I go back to work tomorrow and it will be at least next Saturday before I can leave home to ride. I'll see if he is already barn sour though and try to walk him around the place here.