All About Beans

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Since my emergency food stash contains a lot of dry beans, I thought it best that I learn how to cook them properly BEFORE I actually need them in an emergency situation.

I already knew you were supposed to soak them overnight. Since I read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I also learned the benefits of adding whey to the soak water so I did that too. But when I've tried to cook them in the past, I had problems with texture or even had them not cook at all. This happened with a patch of organic dried peas last week. I did a lot of research and discovered the secret...

It's all about the water. In my area, the water is HARD. If you have hard water, you can cook the beans for days and they will still be as hard as a rock. So you can either use filtered water OR add a bit of baking soda to the cooking water. I didn't know about this until after I had cooked those peas for a good 8 hours and they were still hard. On a whim I added baking soda to see if I could save them. They foamed like crazy for a few minutes. Later when I checked on them, they were PERFECT.

So tip #1. If your beans are hard, add baking soda.

The next thing I learned is that ADDING SALT DURING COOKING IS OK! In the past I had heard that adding salt during cooking is what made beans tough. I was always confused though when the beans were tough and I didn't use salt. Tip #1 explained all that.

Tip #2. Salt will not make your beans tough. Use it in the cooking water if you want.

One more thing...
When you combine a bunch in a batch, if you are not careful about this, some can totally turn to much while others are still crunchy. I had small amounts of 3 different kinds of beans so I combined them all in to one recipe. The pintos are mushy while the peas are still crunchy. The soup I made still tastes fine, but if you have issues with texture, keep this in mind...

Tip #3. Different varieties of beans require different cook times. Combine them carefully.

I will add more information as I figure it out and post recipes along the way. Please feel free to add your information too. Beans are handy for long term storage, but I had avoided them in the past due to cooking issues. Hopefully this will put an end to others having the same problems I did.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I used to always soak them overnight. Then I heard that some people think they are more nutritious if you don't . . . though that might be because it is usually recommended that you toss the soaking water. So I started to try them w/o soaking and I only recently tried cooking with an overnight soaking again. I like them better w/o soaking. :hide

That is interesting about how hard water can affect them. I didn't know that.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Things that make you go Hmmmm (In a good way!). I had been taught & preached no salt until done, too. DH will be pleased, he always wants to add salt.
Very interesting read WZ, thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I cook mostly with black beans, and have found that they can take longer if they are old, too.

I always soak for 24 hours and toss the soaking water and rinse the beans. Any vitamin loss is insignificant compared to the value of getting rid of phytates, especially when one shares a bed with someone who loves beans!!! :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ha ha, but I'll tell you something funny. If you eat a lot of beans over a long period of time, they don't affect you the same way they do people who don't eat beans often. Or at least that is my experience. The beans that get me now are the ones that come in cans. LOL

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat the more you toot.
The more you toot the better you feel.
Eat beans for EVERY meal!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Soaking, fermenting, sour leavening or sprouting grains, and soaking seeds, nuts and legumes (any plant that grows seeds in a pod such as peas and beans) before cooking, baking or eating them initiates the sprouting process which neutralizes enzyme inhibitors and removes phytates (phytic acid) found in whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans and legumes. Phytates block absorption of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, etc., and most of all zinc, in the intestinal tract. These minerals are needed for strong bones and teeth, and for overall health.

These foods also contain enzyme inhibitors that interfere with the absorption of proteins, which causes gastric distress and chronic deficiencies in amino acids. Soaking allows enzymes, lactobacilli, and other helpful organisms to not only neutralize phytic acid, but it also removes enzyme inhibitors and breaks down complex starch.

The popular use of unprocessed bran is one of the worst examples of modern foods that cause serious health problems because of its high level of phytic acid. Granola is also another highly touted food for good health, but because it improperly prepared it is very detrimental to health."
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/foods18.php

Now you will find a lot of places that say to soak beans in a acid medium. If you have hard water that is not going to help. So when I soak, I add whey, then I add baking soda to the cooking water.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Thanks Wifezilla! You haven't steered me wrong yet!

I made the fermented with whey beans which are superior to any beans I have ever made.
I used to get black beans at a southwestern style Mexican restaurant that had a distinctive flavor. Try as I might, I could not replicate them. Until now; the whey was the key. I know the owner was very health conscious, so I'm not surprised.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat the more you toot.
The more you toot the better you feel.
Eat beans for EVERY meal!
Second verse:

Beans, beans, good for your heart.
The more you eat, the more you fart.
The more you fart, the better you feel,
So eat your beans at every meal!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Ha ha, but I'll tell you something funny. If you eat a lot of beans over a long period of time, they don't affect you the same way they do people who don't eat beans often. Or at least that is my experience. The beans that get me now are the ones that come in cans. LOL
The commercial ones will not likely have a long soak, but rather, the "quick soak method." I now cook lots and can or freeze them, since dh loves them. The extra effort is good for marriages, too! :rolleyes: