All About Beans

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes cleaning.

Remember to always look your beans. That is what Grandma Nettie told me... "Always look your beans."

Does anyone know how long you are supposed to look at them? This has always confused me. I look and look, but they always seem to just sit there looking like beans.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat the more you toot.
The more you toot the better you feel.
Eat beans for EVERY meal!
Oh. My. Goodness. Are YOU the one who taught this to my kids? Some days I hear that song a dozen times!!!:barnie

me&thegals

Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Ha ha, but I'll tell you something funny. If you eat a lot of beans over a long period of time, they don't affect you the same way they do people who don't eat beans often. Or at least that is my experience. The beans that get me now are the ones that come in cans. LOL
That's funny :) Sometimes I buy All Bran for muffins, and there's an actual warning on the side of the box along the lines of "Increase dietary fiber slowly and carefully. Dramatic increases in fiber may cause stomach pain and bloating." Then I self-righteously use a boatload since I know MY family is used to serious amounts of fiber. :D

BTW, speaking of beans and marital bliss, has anybody ever heard of playing "covered wagons?"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ALLLL RIGGGHHHTTT children!

:::harumph:::

Don't make me keep you after class. :rant :smack

Back to the topic...

The whole "complete protein" thing. I used to hear you had to combine beans with something else in the same meal to get a complete amino acids profile. Now I am finding info that says it isn't necessary. I will try and find the reports but I wanted to see if anyone else had any information on that.

This is of particular interest to me because I don't eat corn and rice, the two most common items used to get a "complete protein".

me&thegals

Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
ALLLL RIGGGHHHTTT children!

:::harumph:::

Don't make me keep you after class. :rant :smack

Back to the topic...

The whole "complete protein" thing. I used to hear you had to combine beans with something else in the same meal to get a complete amino acids profile. Now I am finding info that says it isn't necessary. I will try and find the reports but I wanted to see if anyone else had any information on that.

This is of particular interest to me because I don't eat corn and rice, the two most common items used to get a "complete protein".
:hide Sorry.

I would be interested if you could find that info. I still subscribe to that theory, too, and keep it in mind when using beans.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear the same . . . as long as you are eating all of it, you don't have to eat it at the same meal. Well, Wifezilla, I don't think you need to worry about that if you are eating meat!

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla: Is thee anyway you can send the link to my email ribbit29@hotmail.com as my printer is dead? I might forget where I saw this wealth of knowledge and will copy it as soon as new printer is in place. dianer29
ps love them beans!