All About Beans

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The complete protein is achieved when you combine a legume with a grass.

In pasturage that is like orchard grass or brome with clover or alfalfa.

On the dinner plate it looks like beans or peas or peanuts with corn or wheat or rice or barley.

Think of all the third world dishes like red beans and rice or lima beans and corn (succotash) or the ever popular bean soup and corn bread. :drool

Not so important if you are a meat eater, but VERY important knowledge for those survival rations.

edited to say:

Come to think of it a peanut butter sandwich would work ... combining wheat bread with peanuts!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
See that's the thing. A lot of articles I am finding say that is a myth. In fact if you google "complete protein myth" you will find all kinds of articles that say that isn't true....hence my confusion.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is possible they have new findings. There are so many more aspects of nutrition that are better understood now that they were years hence.

I will be standing, at least for now, on the old knowledge. Thousands of years of poor people living on rice and beans can't be too far wrong. ;)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I cook my beans in distilled water, and they turn out great. Our water is also very hard, so I can't cook them in regular water. The soda idea is a good one to have on hand, incase I don't have distilled water.

Also, has anyone used the herb 'epazote' in their cooking to reduce the.... after-effects of beans? It is really common in traditional mexican cooking, and supposedly helps with that.

WZ- the "More-with-Less Cookbook" has a lot of good information on protien combinations, and has a lot of good recipes too. It was written in the 70's by Mennonite missionaries and it's goal is "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources" you might check to see if your library has it.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Too take care of that "bloated" feeling I add savory (fresh or dried) to the beans. If I am out of savory then ground ginger will also work. I don't know how much I just sprinkle some in. Maybe a teaspoon of the savory or 1/2 teaspoon of the ginger.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the spice tip. Ginger goes well on just about everything! LOL

I have NOT had "after-effects" from the beans since I started soaking them in whey. Hubby had SOME, but he ate 5 BOWLS! Serves him right!!! LOL

Anyway, Iceblink, the combo idea came from the 70's and was based on an old rat study from what I can tell. The study was not a good one but the combining idea made it to a popular book and now the myth wont die. I will google some more and see if I can find some actual science and not just vegan recruitment sites :p

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As far as the complete protein thing, I'll just throw in my two cents. In the nutrition course I took last year (mind you, it was only a 200 level class, so there would be less "cutting edge stuff") I was told that in order for the proteins to be used fully, the "other half" (ie, the rice to the beans) needed to be consumed within 2-3 hours. This is for use of the protein, though. Most of the nutrients can be used even without the corresponding amino acids there. So unless you're eating the beans for the protein, I wouldn't be too worried. I've read that on the whole, FDA guidelines and american diets include way more protein than we really need.

I would be interested in actually seeing a "conclusion" about this. A final answer would be nice!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
. I've read that on the whole, FDA guidelines and american diets include way more protein than we really need.
I am VERY skeptical about this claim. LOTS of world politics involved in this claim along with a very definite agenda.

Now, excess protein CAN be converted to glucose, but what is "excess"? I think that is VERY individual. Me behind a computer isn't going to need what a body builder needs, but I am gong to need more than most women because I am so tall.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
. I've read that on the whole, FDA guidelines and american diets include way more protein than we really need.
I am VERY skeptical about this claim. LOTS of world politics involved in this claim along with a very definite agenda.

Now, excess protein CAN be converted to glucose, but what is "excess"? I think that is VERY individual. Me behind a computer isn't going to need what a body builder needs, but I am gong to need more than most women because I am so tall.
That's a good point. And I have just recently gotten a copy of nourishing traditions. It's really making me want to re-research every thing I "know" about food. There just aren't any simple answers, are there?!