All About Beans

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Orchick...

I will have to research that some more. A lot of the sites that say "don't use baking soda" are also saying "don't soak because you only soak to speed up cooking time" or "go ahead and cook in the soaking water". Uhhhh NO!!!

You soak to deactivate harmful compounds like phytates and enzyme inhibitors. If they don't know that, do they have the baking soda information correct? Where did that come from?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I always rinse the beans again after soaking and use fresh water....at least since I came to understand WHY we need to soak.

I did try BS one time and it make a nasty icky mess and the beans had an odd taste.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I am going to throw some puzzle pieces out on the table and see what we can make out of it...

"Vitamin B5: Pantothenic acid is stable in moist heat. It is destroyed by vinegar (acid), baking soda (alkali), and dry heat. Significant losses occur during the processing and refining of foods. Pantothenic acid is released from coenzyme A in food in the small intestine. After absorption, it is transported to tissues, where coenzyme A is resynthesized. Coenzyme A is essential for the formation of energy as adenosine triphosphate (ATP) from carbohydrate, protein, alcohol, and fat . Coenzyme A is also important in the synthesis of fatty acids , cholesterol, steroids , and the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is essential for transmission of nerve impulses to muscles.

Dietary deficiency occurs in conjunction with other B-vitamin deficiencies. In studies, experimentally induced deficiency in humans has resulted in headache, fatigue , impaired muscle coordination, abdominal cramps, and vomiting."
http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Smi-Z/Vitamins-Water-Soluble.html

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So do you all prefer to flavor your beans while cooking, or after cooking? I have a pot of black beans going right now - I soaked in lemon juice/water overnight ala Nourishing Traditions (I'm out of whey) and I tossed in some garlic cloves, cumin, and a bay leaf. Now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and add some salt. Oh, just remembered - need to toss in an onion! I have hard water but have never had a problem getting them to cook all the way.
I like my beans to have flavor IN them, not just on them, know what I mean?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yup! I would go ahead and flavor them...especially since you have no problem getting them to cook.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always put flavorings in my beans while they cook, just held on the salt.
WZ, DH was super pleased when I told him about your discoveries. It even led to a "Nana Nana boo boo" moment. I had to admit he was right. Now, don't you feel ashamed? :lol:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Oh the horror!!!

Just wait a few minutes...I am sure he will do something stupid to rebalance the relationship :D