All my seeds are ruined :(

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
....and this is why I love this site. Ya'll are so caring and willing to give.

I've only been saving about two years so it was really only about 25 or 30 packets, but I was trying to do my part and start my own seed stash. Oh well..... what's done is done.

I have to look at the bright side, at least now I know all my seeds are fresh. :)

I put in an order with Baker and will probably put in an order with Seed saver. I like Hometown but can't get the discount to work.

I have a catalog from Landreths' but can't tell if they are non-Gmo.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It must be the day for bad news on seed collections! I've been casually looking around for my "monster bag" that houses all of my seeds for a few weeks now, but the panic didn't set in until last nite when I found the bag and it was empty :( After tracking down who used my monster bag last, DH remembered that he had "placed" (read: dumped) my seeds in a paper bag. So, I was on fire to find a paper bag- gee, that's specific. After much digging through of garden stuff and the recycling closet, I found the bag in the barn with bags of soil and worm castings- it was just kind of a huge pulpy wad at that point. I'm still going to plant the wad and see what comes of it...

Best of luck, Okie!~

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
I will say again, as always -- there are BASICALLY NO GMO VEG SEEDS AVAILABLE AT THE RETAIL LEVEL to backyard gardeners. (Exception, a few corn varieties).

Hybrid is totally unrelated to GMO. Almost all seed companies these days sell both hybrids and open-pollinated varieties. If you want to save seeds and have a reliable result (assuming you've isolated them enough) you do want open-pollinated rather than hybrid, but this has nothing at all to do with the GMO business. That's virtually all in the *big ag crop* sector.

Pat

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Baker Creek claims they test the seed for GMO. I have no reason to not belive them. Of course they could be lying, but then everyone could be lying. Sometimes you have to belive that some people are honest.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Remember the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" That's what we call it here. "Did you move my cheese?" Doesn't matter what it was. If you moved it and it's causing me stress you moved my cheese. Sometimes you shouldn't even be touching my cheese.
Famous example here. We bought a new car. It was my daily driver. I had all the paperwork in a file on the seat. I hadn't stashed it all in the glovebox, etc. Dumb but there you have it. For some stupid reason DH decided to scoop up that file and dump in on my desk. In a pile with other stuff. So when we were in a huge accident in the car and the nice State Trooper asked for all those important papers they were at home on my desk. I was lying on the ground with a bag of frozen peas on my broken arm. DH wandered of to check on the other guy and I'm being grilled by the Trooper about where the paperwork is. I kept telling him it was in a file on the backseat and he kept saying there's nothing in the car but your purse ma'am..... then DH finally came back and realized what he'd done. I was so upset I started crying hysterically and threw up.
DH still didn't learn not to touch my cheese though.
I'm so sorry about your seeds! I'd be upset too. Our little community is having a seed exchange. I'm betting I'll still have more than I need and would be happy to share! It will be a few weeks though.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer, but I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy new seeds.

I have to look at the bright side. I had bought several seeds that were not something I would normally buy. so now I'll be more picky.

I'm trying to stay positive.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
okiegirl1 said:
I will say again, as always -- there are BASICALLY NO GMO VEG SEEDS AVAILABLE AT THE RETAIL LEVEL to backyard gardeners. (Exception, a few corn varieties).

Hybrid is totally unrelated to GMO. Almost all seed companies these days sell both hybrids and open-pollinated varieties. If you want to save seeds and have a reliable result (assuming you've isolated them enough) you do want open-pollinated rather than hybrid, but this has nothing at all to do with the GMO business. That's virtually all in the *big ag crop* sector.

Pat
Slap me for being dumb, but are you saying the packets of seeds I buy from walmart are non-gmo? My biggest rub is I want to make sure if I save seeds they will be viable. I don't use chemicals on my veggies (more so because i'm too poor to buy a bunch of stuff and also 'cause I'm too lazy to take stuff in the house and wash it. I like to sit in the garden and munch on stuff :drool ) So buying organic is a plus but not a deal breaker. I like heirloom because I know what grows with saved seeds will be teh same thing over and over.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, that really stinks! I really liked Fedco Seeds this year. Free shipping, too, and great bulk prices. I can't remember if the regular sizes were reasonably priced also...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A couple years ago I did a search for seed companies owned by Monsanto. You don't want to buy these:

Audubon Workshop
Brecks Bulbs
Burpee
Cooks Garden
Dege Garden Center
Earl May Seed
E & R Seed Co
Flower of the Month Club
Ferry Morse For more information on Ferry Morse (Im getting a TON of emails because they are also listed on the CRG page, please see my note on facebook)
Gardens Alive
Germania Seed Co
Garden Trends
HPS
Jungs
Lindenberg Seeds
McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
Mountain Valley Seed
Osborne
Park Seed
Park Bulbs
Parks Countryside Garden
R.H. Shumway
Rocky Mountain Seed Co
Roots and Rhizomes
Rupp
Seeds for the World
Seymours Selected Seeds
Snow
Stokes
Spring Hill Nurseries
Totally Tomato
T&T Seeds
Tomato Growers Supply
Vermont Bean Seed Co.
The Vermont Bean Seed Company
Wayside Gardens
Willhite Seed Co.

http://www.garden-of-eatin.com/how-to-avoid-monsanto/

I'm sure there are more now...sigh.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is so scary. It also explains why the Park Seed seeds I got a couple years ago did so poorly. I swore to never use them again even before I knew they were a Monsanto front.