All my seeds are ruined :(

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
A couple years ago I did a search for seed companies owned by Monsanto. You don't want to buy these:

Audubon Workshop
Brecks Bulbs
Burpee
Cooks Garden
Dege Garden Center
Earl May Seed
E & R Seed Co
Flower of the Month Club
Ferry Morse For more information on Ferry Morse (Im getting a TON of emails because they are also listed on the CRG page, please see my note on facebook)
Gardens Alive
Germania Seed Co
Garden Trends
HPS
Jungs
Lindenberg Seeds
McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
Mountain Valley Seed
Osborne
Park Seed
Park Bulbs
Parks Countryside Garden
R.H. Shumway
Rocky Mountain Seed Co
Roots and Rhizomes
Rupp
Seeds for the World
Seymours Selected Seeds
Snow
Stokes
Spring Hill Nurseries
Totally Tomato
T&T Seeds
Tomato Growers Supply
Vermont Bean Seed Co.
The Vermont Bean Seed Company
Wayside Gardens
Willhite Seed Co.

http://www.garden-of-eatin.com/how-to-avoid-monsanto/

I'm sure there are more now...sigh.
wow! thank you for this list. I was looking at Linderburg and have bought from Jung (lots of the ruined seed were Jung) Actually in retrospect, maybe it's good to start over in my seed stash. This time I KNOW that my seeds are good viable seeds. I don't buy from Burpee because .... well.... I don't know. They are too commercial. I really like buying from small businesses.

I may copy and paste this list to my FB page. I'm trying to get the word out that Monsanto is the devil.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
are you saying the packets of seeds I buy from walmart are non-gmo?
Yuppers, exactly! :)

My biggest rub is I want to make sure if I save seeds they will be viable.
Then honestly Walmart is not necessarily your best bet... big box stores tend to have "unpredictable" chains of custody of their seed merchandise, and while these days I guess it may be "mostly" okay in general stores do not have the greatest track record as compared to mail-order or garden stores, in terms of viability. At the very least, CHECK THE DATE on the seed packets and make sure it says "packaged for 2011".

So buying organic is a plus but not a deal breaker. I like heirloom because I know what grows with saved seeds will be teh same thing over and over.
Uh, if you can prevent cross-pollination. Easy with some things (e.g. beans, and to a slightly lesser extent tomatoes), requires some work for other things (e.g. peppers if you grow >1 variety), and really pretty challenging for others.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat