Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm loving all these recipes. It's nice to see them all in one place. Thanks to all for your participation. Yet an other question, where do you all buy your EO's and other supplies? Tips for best brands, what to avoid?

Finally, do you have dedicated equipment? I really can see no reason why I can't use my kitchen immersion blender, or even my pots and pans, and whisks to make these products. Of course, bee's wax... now... I KNOW that I don't want to get that on my good equipment. But... once the bee's wax is incorporated, it should wash off well with general hot water and soap.

For me there are quite a few stores that carry stuff here. A lot of the EOs I get off Amazon. There are different grades. You also have to make sure that it's not just a scented oil. When we get home, I'll see what brands I have. Something from a larger brand like NOW isn't a bad choice. The MLMs are poor choices for anything. They've been caught with adulterated and outright fraudulent products that are more expensive than what you'd get from a reputable brand. They also don't know squat about their products other than vague promotional words.

Do not apply EOs directly to skin. They must be diluted or they can burn. It can also cause actual sensitivity to the oil so that you can never use that type again without a reaction. Basically by using them incorrectly you can cause an almost allergic reaction to them.

I have dedicated equipment. Even after making a lotion there is still some coating of beeswax that seems to get everywhere. Just means a bowl, cheap measuring cup/spoon set, couple bigger glass measuring cups, couple jars, and a $10 hand mixer. Also an apron to keep oil off clothes. I use a paper plate as a bowl shield when mixing.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This thread is great!

I live in cottonwood country so I did the cottonwood buds in oil. It does give some relief, but sometimes you have to break out the big guns. This worked better for me. It makes a HUGE batch, I think I made 1/4 and still have some after several years. Still works...

Sore Muscle Rub

16 oz. rubbing alcohol
40 aspirin OR 40 ibuprofen(Advil) OR 40 naproxen sodium (Aleve), your choice

Put pills and some of the alcohol into a small blender. Blend until pills are all finely crushed, then add the rest of the alcohol.

Add:
1 oz vegetable glycerin (helps with texture)
1/4 oz orange oil (helps skin to absorb it better - I didn't have any)

Blend for one minute.

If you use MSM, now's the time to add some. Use up to 15 capsules (open and pour into a dinky container), add a bit of distilled water and let the powder dissolve. Add it to the stuff in the blender and blend for another minute. Let it sit over night in a tightly sealed jar. Filter it the next day and bottle. Rub it on the sore area as needed.

I didn't filter mine and it STILL has that weirdo Advil color that settles at the bottom. I put it in a recycled soy sauce bottle.
At first I was kind of creeped out about the number of pills involved, even a 1/4 batch is still a lot. But you're using just a bit in a localized area.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now you have me thinking about extracting some inner willow bark in oil. I don't have white willow which is best, but all willows have some of pain killing properties.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes. White willow bark was what they developed aspirin from.

I have a bit of it dried that I mix with mint for a pain relief tea. Mainly because willow bark isn't very good tasting.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we went to OK to visit my aunt. I was chewed up by mosquitoes the next day. She wiped ACV all over me. It took away the itch, and prevented more bites.

You can also pinch off a bit of ACV mother to use for pain relief. I tried it on a scrape on my knee and it knocked the pain in a jiffy. But as soon as I showered, the pain was back, so it's something that needs to stay on. I read that some of the old timers would save 'mothers' in a separate jar just for that reason.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No recipes on my end to offer thus far, but checking this out and bookmarking for later!