Alpacas

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone on here have, or has had alpacas?

Anyone ever heard of love at first sight?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, but I’ve done a lot of research about them. They’re adorable but a bit needy compared to sheep, who I appreciate for being pretty self sufficient and hardy animals.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know too much about them but their wool is amazing. I believe they are a little more picky when it comes to food and water, also I think that straw is the preferred bedding for them. I have done very little research--they are a bit too big for me.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had someone offer me two, I thought about it… then my shearer talked me out of it. She won’t shear them, aside from the fact that they’re not hardy, it would be difficult getting them sheared!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ad says he's easy to handle. But, I'm only experienced in shearing my dog's fur. Not being hardy would be a problem. I open the barn door every day, even in the winter, unless unusually cold.

He has the same hair cut as my dog.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
seems odd to me that a species originating in the Andes would not be hardy, but what do I know?
:nods vigorously:

I suspect part of the problems are different feeds and parasites than they evolved to tolerate. The person I spoke to said feeding was the hardest part. They would go off feed and starve themselves to death. She also said they're more sensitive to isolation and travel than other hoofstock.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ad says he's easy to handle. But, I'm only experienced in shearing my dog's fur. Not being hardy would be a problem. I open the barn door every day, even in the winter, unless unusually cold.

He has the same hair cut as my dog.
I believe they are cold hardy, but wet and snow + friction will cause wool/hair to mat. It might be more about protecting the wool quality?