Also kinda obvious--get off your posterior!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I live 7 miles from our small town, which has really nothing to offer, lol. I live 36 miles from HyVee (grocery). Now, my DH is a truck driver, and his 'hub' is an hour away, so when I go to pick him up, or drop him off, I schedule my errands for those days. Beyond that, I try very hard not to go anywhere during the week if I don't have to! :)

Buff Hooligans

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I ride my bike to work 4 days a week (drive the 5th day to do errands). So that's 72 miles a week that my car is not polluting or using gas.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I work in town which is 15miles one way. I do all my running then. I wanted to ride my bike this summer, to work, but it is to far. The closest store is 4 miles away. The nearest big city is 1 hr away. We kayak, hunt and fish. But no, I do not walk to the store.
By the time I get home, let the chickies out, make dinner, do laundry, clean house and do other stuff, I am to tired to go anywhere.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It isn't practical to walk or bicycle with children around here. Few places are close enough. I do combine my errands to save gas. Where would I put the groceries? Plus when would I find the time? I get enough exercise gardening, taking care of the animals, trimming trees, putting up food, doing laundry, etc... Plus I home school. I feel fortunate if I have enough time to read for an hour before I go to bed!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We live 15 miles outside of town & have to go over a overpass for the interstate to get to town, so walking for errands is out for us too. Although a new Frys was built closer to us & driving it is only 6 mins to the store now which is great. They also have a fuel station so dh no longer has to drive all the way into town to get diesel which is a fuel & time saver. I walk around the property to care for animals & gardening & to the mailbox & back again. But I have a bum foot that dr's say walking is not a good exercise for me due to excess stress on it.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our closest town is 5KM north, or 7KM south, we have the heritage trails so as soon as we have horses, we'll be hacking out to get milk, or bread, or whatever from the grocery store. I was thinking of buying snow shoes, or cross country skiies...

Right now, it's impossible, up a half a KM driveway, 1KM down our road.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what is a heritage trail?
just wondering, never heard of them?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
what is a heritage trail?
just wondering, never heard of them?
Heritage trails are trails left when the railway line was removed, they're public trails you buy a trail permit for, ATV, Snow Mobilers, Walkers, Horse back Riders, etc. use them, you only need a permit if you're on a vehicle or on horse back, and it's only $10 a day or $75 a year.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmm...$10 a day....$300 a month---ALOT FOR THE YEAR

definitely the $75 for the year..LOL-LOL-LOL

darn, our rr system said they were going to do that and it never happened. ticked me off cause that is great trails to take advantage of....lucky YOU!!!!!!!!!--enjoy them!!!!!!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live 14 miles from any town. Our community gate and access to the Highway is 4.5 miles from my house. Our dumpsters are up there also. We have to go up there just to take our trash away from our home, and it is extremely steep and windy.
We work and the children go to school in town. Once in town, we pick up a second car, that we keep in storage, and go our separate ways. Paying for storage is more economical than using two cars to go up and down the hill. (The 14 miles is also mountain route.) The distance between my husbands job and mine is 8+ miles. The children are in school near my side of town, but will go to his shop after school soon, so again, they have to to be picked up. The streets are not safe for them to ride bikes on that many miles.
I use my car for my work. My husband is a mechanic. Cars are a hobby. We fix cars, build cars, break cars, show cars. But we're not always behind the wheel of a car. We ride 4 wheelers, drive 4x4's, ride motorcycles, and travel all over. We have bicycles, scooters, skateboards, a pogo-stick, a pedal car, a track around our property, I mean, we never sit still!
So nahhh, we're not prize winners when it comes to putting away the keys and jumping on a bicycle, but we do our best to keep what we have running smooth and clean....and we help others stay that way too! And we leave one in town and come home together, instead of driving two home!
Tina/tfpets

Latest posts