Am I weird?

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As sooon as the weather gets hot here, the clothes hung outside start smelling like a swamp. Bummer. I love stiff dry towels, though! They are so much more absorbant.

Our homeowner's association forbids line drying, as well. But since my house backs into a forest, nobody can tell if I do it anyway!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's allergy season for me at the moment ("snow mold" as the snow melts) so although I'm on my third load of the day, most of it is airing indoors on my laundry rack and the painted wooden railings between our dining room/living room (step down) and kitchen/family room (two steps down).

Makes for lovely household humidity in our very arid climate here in southern Alberta :)

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've always liked hanging out to dry, but now that we have our new place we have a new problem. We are on a septic system, and I can hardly do any laundry without filling the septic. We have GOT to get some friends with a backhoe to come dig us some pits for grey water barrels!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okie Amazon said:
I've always liked hanging out to dry, but now that we have our new place we have a new problem. We are on a septic system, and I can hardly do any laundry without filling the septic. We have GOT to get some friends with a backhoe to come dig us some pits for grey water barrels!
Unless your leach field is shot there should be no problem with doing your laundry. Many of us have septic and leach fields. I do several loads of wash every day. As long as the whole field is working properly there should be no problems.

Maybe I am missing something.

g

By the way, Welcome!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah, there must be something wrong. While I try to do a load a day, sometimes it turns into two or three a day. No problems with our septic.

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmm.... well, whoever did the plumbing on this place was NOT a plumber. One of the two bathrooms has a vent that is completely inadequate. I think it was sized for a sink only, then they added a shower and toilet. :rolleyes: We are going to have to do a lot of re-plumbing as we can afford it. I really would rather water with the laundry leftovers than just waste it in the septic.

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love to hang laundry out. There's nothing like climbing in bed to "fresh" sheets. Sandra

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
walnuthollow said:
I love to hang laundry out. There's nothing like climbing in bed to "fresh" sheets. Sandra
I was just thinking the same thing.