AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all, its been a warm peaceful day here at the homestead, picked up a new chest freezer yesterday to convert to a refrigerator, DW was washing clothes today, she said the new wringer really helps. Got alot of building material picked up. The feed store in McNeal suppose to get chicks in april so i should have a chicken coop ready. Being off grid sure is a different life, alot of hard work trying to get self sufficient lol. We do have a garden started.

The kids are on spring break next week, we meet another off gridder here and she has been here for 5 years :) Money is starting to get tight now and DW is still waiting on her medical license to transfer from Georgia.

My list of projects are, build the solar shower, Build a solar oven, Build a greenhouse and continue working on our home. I started making frame work for the solar panels. My batteries arrived friday, that was $631.00 ouch.

The kids are happy with there schools and we like it out here. But everything is so far away its always a day when we go to town to get supplies. Anyone thinking off going off grid i would say do it, we took the plunge and are not regretting it. Alot slower life here then what we had in the city. Tho we do tend to get on each others nerves alittle lol.

God Bless all and will post again soon.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hopefully, once things are done and in place, it won't be so much work all the time for you.

I admit, I envy you taking the plunge. My family would NOT be on board with it, but I would like to. Maybe someday!

Hope things continue to progress, DW gets her licensing soon, and DD decides she loves it there!

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
Hi all, its been a warm peaceful day here at the homestead, picked up a new chest freezer yesterday to convert to a refrigerator.
A good project! Please consider writing a bit about it - and would pics be possible? - for our thread on repurposing:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11875

My list of projects are, build the solar shower, Build a solar oven, Build a greenhouse and continue working on our home. I started making frame work for the solar panels. My batteries arrived friday, that was $631.00 ouch.
Please consider these projects for description in the DIY (and other) sections.

God Bless all and will post again soon.
God bless you folks, too.

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all :) today was a really blustery day here, seen our first dust storm lol. Yes i will be documenting all we do off grid. WooHoo tomorrow we will have power!!!!! I got everything ready to tie in the solar panel array :)

Not much new to report, seen a pack of coyotes every morning, a couple of wild hogs, some road runners, they are cool and several jack rabbits. Weather has been pretty nice and have had some really beautiful sunsets.

I will post when i have our power up and running :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The roadrunners are cool!!! Coyotes too, as well as your small animals are locked up! I hope all goes well tomorrow while powering up!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Glad you all are doing good! Can't wait for more updates!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Were the roadrunners being chased by the coyotes? :hide Looking forward to hearing more as well.

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all, its been a cold day here at the homestead, it was 29 degrees this morning. Good news is i got our solar panel array up and running, our deep freeze conversion is working like a charm so DW is happy to have a refrigerator :D

Its suppose to warm up sunday cant wait, We are tired of being cold lol.

Soon i will be able to start posting pictures :)

Will post more later

God Bless all

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you all are really digging in and getting thngs going! Can't wait to see pics of everything!!