AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
What Deb said. I had this problem with the Drake running the hen up, and the Drake running a BO hen up. Then the rooster attacking her :rolleyes: She got her own cage.... :D

ETA Bad wording

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Thats what we thought but wasn't sure, we never had turkeys before. We got one chicken sitting on 11 eggs so we hope we will have chicks also.

Got some really nice cardboard barrels with lids and snap rings for free, same place that has the pallets, perfect for feed storage. Love recycling stuff :D

Today is windy here, The Tom still isnt happy, wants back in the other pen lol.

Will post more later!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a wonderful surprise!! My dad came out for a visit, didnt tell us he was coming, He stayed for 5 days, i was so sad to see him leave yesterday, the kids and me miss him now :( My bday was on yesterday and it was the best ever having dad here.

The wind destroyed my new turkey house so its back to the drawing board.

Today im plumbing the house so we can have running water! didnt know i would miss the simple things in life lol.

Turkeys and chickens are still sitting on eggs, it wont be much longer till they hatch :)

Will post more later

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
That is so cool that your dad came out for your Birthday! Sorry about the turkey house. That wind can be ridiculous!!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, AH! :hugs

That's so nice that your dad came out for a surprise visit, those are the best kind of gifts! :clap

And congrats on the water! We've been hauling ours from the hydrant behind the camper for over 2 years now. If it wasn't for weekly visits to my mom's house, I think I might have forgotten how to use a faucet. :gig

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I updated our blog with some more pictures, i got really sick yesterday out of the blue, about 4 pm i started running a fever it got up to 103 but broke about 10 pm last night, i still feel weak tho, i have no idea what caused it. No one else is sick.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes :) You all are great :)

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all, we are still alive and kickin in the desert, its been so HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! thankfully the moonson is starting. We have had a terrible time with mojave rattlesnakes, i have already killed 9 around the house. We are still struggling with off grid life, it has its up's and down's. Garden burned up even watering it 2 times aday. We are going to replant here in july with the moonson rains and cooler temps.

We BBQ 2 snakes and they really do taste like chicken except boney like fish lol.

The chickens and turkeys are doing fine :) Plan on hunting for wild hog this year to help fill the pantry.

Still have my blog at http://www.homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com

God Bless all

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep, Hot here in Tucson for sure! Sorry to hear about your garden. Best time to grow things here is in the Winter and early spring. Hard to keep things growing when it gets really hot, unless you have filtered shade for most of the afternoon.
When it says "full sun" on a plant or seed package... they don't have the Arizona Desert in mind!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
Yep, Hot here in Tucson for sure! Sorry to hear about your garden. Best time to grow things here is in the Winter and early spring. Hard to keep things growing when it gets really hot, unless you have filtered shade for most of the afternoon.
When it says "full sun" on a plant or seed package... they don't have the Arizona Desert in mind!
Lol we learned that one about the sun here.